Friday Quote & Cat Blogging

22 comments March 4th, 2005at 06:11pm Posted by Eli

This week’s quote:

Have you ever looked at the heavens? Everything in the heavens is here, moving as the heavens move.

Courtesy of the mysterious and shadowy Codename V.

The mysterious and shadowy Codename V. will temporarily de-cloak to provide hints and answer questions.

As before, the first person to guess the movie correctly gets to replace it with one of their own.

And here are some cats, for those of you who are into that sort of thing.

Dozer on the left, Eek on the right. Posted by Hello

Entry Filed under: Friday Quote & Cat Blogging

• 1. V  |  March 4th, 2005 at 6:15 pm

That is some fugly carpet right there. I mean, damn.

• 2. Eli  |  March 4th, 2005 at 6:19 pm

The mysterious and shadowy Codename V. is not being a very gracious guest…

:P

• 3. V  |  March 4th, 2005 at 6:21 pm

The mysterious and shadowy Codename V. calls it like she sees it. And she sees some extraordinarily fugly carpet :p

• 4. Eli  |  March 4th, 2005 at 8:26 pm

Okay, so.

Is this a period piece? Is the speaker a scientist or a poet/dreamer?

• 5. V  |  March 4th, 2005 at 8:30 pm

I don’t think it really qualifies as a period piece, at least not in the sense that you mean.

Speaker is more of an oracle/witch type than a scientist, although the thing being spoken about is scientific in nature.

Have a guess. I’ll be less cryptic if necessary.

• 6. jfrjfrjfr  |  March 4th, 2005 at 8:51 pm

Jellicle Cats are white and black,
    Jellicle Cats are of moderate size;
    Jellicle Cats jump like a jumping-jack,
    Jellicle Cats have moonlit eyes.
    They’re quitet enough in the morning hours,
    They’re quitet enough in the afternoon,
    Reserving their terpsichorean powers
    To dance by the light of the Jellicle Moon.

(from elliot)

• 7. V  |  March 4th, 2005 at 8:55 pm

You know, TS Eliot wrote what is, in my opinion, the greatest work of poetry ever published – that being Prufrock. Flawless, just flawless.

And then there’s sodding CATS. Feh.

• 8. Thersites  |  March 4th, 2005 at 10:16 pm

That is clearly a quote from Metalstorm 2: The Destruction of Jared-Syn.

• 9. Eli  |  March 4th, 2005 at 10:20 pm

Really? ‘Cuz I would have totally gone with Megaforce. Or Krull.

V, is it Krull? Is it sci-fi and/or fantasy? Is it set in this world?

• 10. V  |  March 4th, 2005 at 10:36 pm

It is not Krull. It is fantasy. It is not set in this world.

The thing being spoken about is maybe the key. Think about what “the heavens” are, and think about what might show them and how they move.

• 11. Eli  |  March 4th, 2005 at 10:42 pm

So, it’s like an orrery or something? I’m assuming it’s not a planetarium…

• 12. V  |  March 4th, 2005 at 10:46 pm

Affirmative, it is an orrery. That should be a big fat clue.

• 13. Thersites  |  March 4th, 2005 at 11:03 pm

Beastmaster 3!

• 14. Eli  |  March 4th, 2005 at 11:15 pm

My brain still isn’t working. Is it a big, spooky, ominous, slow-moving orrery, or something smaller?

Is it… Dark Crystal?

• 15. watertiger  |  March 4th, 2005 at 11:19 pm

The last episode of “Farscape”?

• 16. V  |  March 4th, 2005 at 11:22 pm

Eli is correct! It is The Dark Crystal! The speaker is Aughra, she of the one eye and bad attitude.

• 17. Eli  |  March 4th, 2005 at 11:40 pm

Woohoo!!! We need some more players, though (um, no offense, Thers & tigre). I know at least two Atriots who are movie buffs – I’ll call them out by name next week, see if I can shame them into playing.

• 18. Thersites  |  March 5th, 2005 at 12:05 am

I am, alas, not a very serious player. My genius lies in other arenas…

The Eschaton threads are filled up with the two dumbest & ugliest trolls I’ve ever seen right now. Bummer.

• 19. Eli  |  March 5th, 2005 at 12:14 am

Yes, I suspected as much. One of these days I may even figure out what some of those other areas are. (Unless… Ew.)

I’m not sure if I would go so far as to ban Toby, but Gordon, absolutely. Toby is just a basic standard-issue Obtuse Troll, but Gordon crossed the line into malicious and abusive, and most of the time doesn’t even attempt to make an argument.

I don’t believe in stifling dissent, even insincere dissent, but that’s not what Gordon is trafficking in.

• 20. oldwhitelady  |  March 5th, 2005 at 12:43 pm

Awwww! How cute! That blue cat sure has a fuzzy tail. I love the blue/gray kitties! I love tortoiseshell kitties! MMMMM – They look so content – doing what cats do best!

• 21. oldwhitelady  |  March 5th, 2005 at 12:48 pm

As far as Toby, Gordon, and Schwa?, etc… go, if Atriots would ignore them, not respond in any way to their posts, they would find some other blog to troll. Way back in 95-97, I used to comment on the AOL threads. AOL had a button to use to ignore certain people. If you didn’t want to see what they wrote, you (the commenter) could just put them on ignore. It was terrific. If Haloscan would include that in their software, it would be a great help. Then, we could just put them on ignore, and they wouldn’t be banned.

• 22. Eli  |  March 5th, 2005 at 12:54 pm

Yep, Mom’s kitties were extremely good at blissful sleeping, possibly even more so than the average cat.

Ignore would be great, although it still wouldn’t really block the responses of all the people who feel obliged to respond to the trolls.

What really bugs me is when the thread gets so thoroughly hijacked that ignoring the trolls leaves you with no-one else to talk to and nothing to talk about (I’m not sure “small I” ignoring Gordon would work, actually – I’m pretty sure he would just continue offering up snappy comebacks to comments that weren’t directed at him).