Congress’s Irony-Poor Blood

6 comments June 1st, 2005at 09:46am Posted by Eli

At long last, sir, have you no sense of irony?

From NYT:

Citizens who want to keep an eye on the [Patriot Act re-evaluation] process will have no easy task. The most crucial debates of the Senate Intelligence Committee are being kept closed to the public.

(snip)

Now the Bush administration and its Senate allies have come up with another: a proposal to let F.B.I. agents write their own “administrative subpoenas,” without the need to consult prosecutors or judges, in demand of all manner of records, from business to medical and tax data. There is no serious evidence that agents have been hamstrung by the lack of such wide authority.

Freeing agents from getting a judge’s sign-off is an invitation to overreaching and abuse, as is a proposal to let the F.B.I. ignore postal law restraints when antiterrorism agents choose to monitor someone’s letter envelopes and package covers.

Our lives become more and more transparent, as government becomes more and more secretive and opaque. Where are the “administrative subpoenas” for Cheney’s energy task force, or for Bush and Cheney’s testimony before the 9/11 commission?

Just imagine what problems could be solved if everyone in government had to play by the same rules as the rest of us poor schmucks.

Entry Filed under: Bush,Constitution,Energy,Politics,Republicans,Terrorism,Wankers

• 1. Thersites  |  June 1st, 2005 at 9:17 pm

It really is amazing is it, that these are the same people who want to bring “democracy” to the rest of the world…

• 2. Anonymous  |  June 1st, 2005 at 11:36 pm

There is no shame anymore.If these guys had one ounce of shame we vcould all live in peace together.Sadly,shame is not to be found anywhere on the right.

• 3. smalfish  |  June 1st, 2005 at 11:37 pm

Bah,bloggered yet again.That last was me.

• 4. oldwhitelady  |  June 2nd, 2005 at 3:54 am

How irritating! They want to keep all this information to themselves as they screw up our world!

• 5. Desi  |  June 2nd, 2005 at 4:23 pm

So, Eli, are you going to stay away from my blog because I changed templates?? :( *sniff*sniff*sob*

• 6. Eli  |  June 2nd, 2005 at 6:40 pm

I fear change.

However, I am easily lured by pie.