Friday Quote & Cat Blogging

15 comments June 3rd, 2005at 06:29pm Posted by Eli

This week’s quote:

Why do you suggest anything to Walter? Are you the spokesman for society, come to put your stifling finger in his eye?

Bucket Of Blood, courtesy of the shadowy and mysterious Codename V.

This is easily my all-time favorite Roger Corman movie. I know it’s sacrilege to say this, but I think most Corman is just kinda… lame. Not even so-bad-it’s-good, just… lame. Especially when compared to other masters of so-bad-it’s-good, like Troma and Full Moon and Fred Olen Ray.

Anyway, controversial and contrarian tastes aside, Bucket Of Blood is a bit of a departure for Corman, since it has no cheesy monsters or lame special effects. Just a pathetic, not-very-bright beatnik/artist wannabe named Walter, who becomes an overnight sensation in the beatnik/artist community with his shockingly realistic sculptures, which look uncannily like clay or plaster slathered over a dead body. This is worth seeing solely on the basis of the florid and overwrought beat poetry and general hepness on display, of which the above quote is but one small sample.

Look! A cat!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Curious Eek.

Entry Filed under: Friday Quote & Cat Blogging

• 1. Robster  |  June 3rd, 2005 at 7:54 pm

What a pretty torti! We just got a torti manx from the shelter. The other girls aren’t quite sure about her… But thats another story.

• 2. Spear and Magic  |  June 3rd, 2005 at 7:56 pm

Would I be ruining the secret if I were to reveal that the shadowy and mysterious Codename V. was in fact Mark Felt?

• 3. Eli  |  June 3rd, 2005 at 7:58 pm

I have a major soft spot for torties. The shadowy and mysterious Codename V. has a most adorable tortie as well – looks a bit like Eek, but with shorter hair. Plus is a lot more diabolical.

I’m sure you’d be ruining *something*…

• 4. watertiger  |  June 3rd, 2005 at 8:03 pm

with marvelous balance!

• 5. Charlotte Smith  |  June 3rd, 2005 at 8:06 pm

Roger Corman AND a kitty! My hero!

• 6. oldwhitelady  |  June 3rd, 2005 at 10:09 pm

What a gorgeous picture. Eek is so beautiful, and the background is magnificent. Good show! Eli.

• 7. Eli  |  June 3rd, 2005 at 10:27 pm

Thanks, but I can’t take credit for any of the cat pics. They’re all my mom’s.

• 8. Polly  |  June 3rd, 2005 at 11:10 pm

Eli, Eek’s collar looks so loose, like she could get caught on bush or bramble while leaping on and off fences. Or leaping onto the window sill, as she looks likely to do in this grand picture.
    Thanks for the kitty pix; I’ve been lokking forward to these all day.

• 9. Polly  |  June 3rd, 2005 at 11:29 pm

Sorry Eli, that Eek has passed on. I didn’t realize til I’d read further on the thread. I’ll keep my advice to myself after this.
    I love to see your punning contests, tho the threads are usually cold by the time I read them.

• 10. Eli  |  June 3rd, 2005 at 11:33 pm

‘Sokay, Polly. Alas, I don’t have a cat of my own, so I must live off of past vicarious glory.

Dozer (the gray cat) is still around – as far as I know, anyway.

• 11. jungophile  |  June 5th, 2005 at 5:37 pm

Hey, Roger Corman made some good movies for very little money. “The Intruder,” with William Shatner, is my personal fave, but there’s also “Masque of the Red Death,” “The Raven,” “The Pit and the Pendulum,” and “Premature Burial”. Not only that, he gave a lot of aspiring filmmakers their first shot at directing; show a little respect.

• 12. Eli  |  June 5th, 2005 at 6:17 pm

Look, I have no personal grudge against Corman, and I’m grateful to him for helping others along, but the fact remains that his movies just don’t *do* anything for me.

• 13. V  |  June 5th, 2005 at 8:16 pm

Ironically, I find it incredibly disrespectful when someone tells someone else to “show some respect.” It just comes across as bossy and rude.

• 14. Eli  |  June 5th, 2005 at 8:44 pm

Well, I try to reply as politely as I can, just on the off chance that they might be in the Mafia.

• 15. V  |  June 5th, 2005 at 10:12 pm

Yeah, the psuedo-intellectual film student mafia, maybe.