The Trouble With Harriet

5 comments October 8th, 2005at 04:24pm Posted by Eli

Bush’s latest Supreme Court nominee, Harriet Miers, appears to be in the unusual position of having more Democratic backing than Republican, and was essentially endorsed by Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid. So, this is great, right? She drives a wedge between the Republican factions, and we get a (supposedly) less egregious Supreme Court justice than anyone else Bush would be likely to nominate.

Let’s not break out the champagne just yet. Not only would a Democratic rubber stamp mean giving up a golden opportunity to bludgeon Bush about his preference for cronyism over competence (the gall of nominating a crony to a lifetime post just weeks after another crony makes a mess of the worst natural disaster in American history!), but it would actually be a ringing endorsement of it. Just as their votes to give Dubya the authority to invade Iraq have muted their criticism of the war, so a Yes vote on Miers would mute any future criticism of Republican cronyism.

I’d like to think that they know something about Miers that I don’t know (she’s like David Souter with a vagina!), but past experience tells me that they’re just getting played. Again.

Entry Filed under: Bush,Corruption/Cronyism,Democrats,Judiciary,Politics,Republicans

• 1. Virgil  |  October 8th, 2005 at 8:16 pm

The more conservative members of my family are in a state of (glorious) confusion of Meirs. My dad asked me why I ws not giving them a ribbing about it.

I told him. “Dad, if your enemies are busy pouring gasoline over each other, while a third is lighting a cigarette… never interupt.”

• 2. Eli  |  October 8th, 2005 at 8:18 pm

I still think it’s a trap. Bush is incapable of nominating anyone who’s not an ideological psycho.

• 3. cabearie  |  October 9th, 2005 at 10:08 am

Two possibilities:

One, the Dems are playing a game, pretending they’re just wild about Harry to enrage the religious reich who can’t possibly like anyone the Dems do.

Two, it’s a trap set by Bushco to snare Harry Reid and the Dems.

I tend towards number two.

Diane

• 4. Eli  |  October 9th, 2005 at 10:10 am

Likewise. Occam’s Razor and all that.

The Republicans are a lot better at devious maneuverings than the Dems.

• 5. Eli  |  October 9th, 2005 at 10:12 am

(The Dems may *think* they’re pulling a fast one on Brer Republican by threatening to throw them into the Miers patch, but they’re not)