Poll Lotta Trouble For The Republicans

6 comments November 23rd, 2005at 03:21pm Posted by Eli

Wow. Maybe we really have turned the corner. Latest WSJ poll, by way of The All-Seeing Eye Of Froomkin (more on him later today):

“A majority of U.S. adults believe the Bush administration generally misleads the public on current issues, while fewer than a third of Americans believe the information provided by the administration is generally accurate, the latest Harris Interactive poll finds.”

Overall, 64 percent of Americans believe the Bush administration “generally misleads the American public on current issues to achieve its own ends” — including 91 percent of Democrats, 73 percent of independents and 28 percent of Republicans.

The Journal also reports: “When asked about former Vice Presidential Chief of Staff Lewis ‘Scooter’ Libby, who has been indicted on charges of perjury, obstruction of justice and making false statements, more than half of U.S. adults say the situation indicates ‘a larger problem in the Bush administration,’ while 35% say it was an ‘isolated incident.’ About 82% of Democrats say it indicates a larger problem, while 70% of Republicans feel the Libby case is an isolated incident.”

This really is huge. Public perceptions that the Bushies or Republicans in general are lying on a specific issue are damaging, but as long as they’re seen as isolated incidents rather than part of a pattern of Republican behavior, the damage can be contained. But now, even without any high-profile Democratic effort to frame each scandal as part of an underlying pattern of Republican dishonesty and incompetence, that message is clearly getting through to all but the most diehard and unreachable of the Kool-Aid drinkers. I think it’s telling that these questions were even asked, and by the WSJ, no less.

I can’t understate this enough: Even as Bush’s approval rating slouches toward 30%, this is the most encouraging poll result I’ve seen in the 5 long years of the Bush II Dynasty. There is one last remaining step that I am eagerly awaiting: for the cancer on the presidency to metastasize and begin rupturing red cells outside the White House. It would be the first time cancer ever made its host healthier.

Entry Filed under: Bush,Downing Street Memo,Libby/Plame,Politics,Polls,Republicans

• 1. Elmo  |  November 23rd, 2005 at 5:10 pm

Now you know Bush doesn’t read the polls. Hell he doesn’t even read! He’ll be clueless when the ship sinks.

• 2. Anonymous  |  November 23rd, 2005 at 10:08 pm

But, damn, what is with the Republicans? Still 70% approval???

Jawbone

• 3. Eli  |  November 23rd, 2005 at 10:11 pm

I know. It’s mind-blowing to me how many of them are still willfully blind.

Hard to explain even as rooting for the home team, and I have to question the authenticity of their commitment to supposed Republican/conservative values.

• 4. Ol' Froth  |  November 24th, 2005 at 12:53 pm

Actually, the WSJ is a pretty good paper. Its their editorial page that is batshit crazy.

• 5. oldwhitelady  |  November 24th, 2005 at 8:07 pm

Polls? We don’t need no stinkin’ polls!

By the way, you’ll never believe the way I found your blog!

I was looking for brass donuts.. hee hee – not really.

• 6. Multi Medium » Bask&hellip  |  February 3rd, 2007 at 8:39 pm

[…] Yes, I am a happy happy blogger today. Not only did the WSJ release the most encouraging poll numbers ever, not only was my blog the number one Google search result for both an althouse batshit crazy and hot liberal blogger, but The All-Seeing Eye Of Froomkin has winked kindly upon me. The very last item in his WaPo online chat session this afternoon: Pittsburgh, Pa.: Longtime huge fan — your column is one of my favorite reads. […]