IOKIYUAE

9 comments February 21st, 2006at 05:40pm Posted by Eli

So, not long after reading about President Bush’s staunch defense of the corporations of the United Arab Emirates as plucky entrepreneurs who deserve the same opportunities as Great Britain, and strongly implies that it’s the forces of racism and intolerance holding them back, I see this little gem in today’s White House Briefing OPINION column, in reference to Al Gore’s denunciation of post-9/11 American abuses against the Arab world in (gasp!)… Saudi Arabia:

The comments stirred an angry reaction on the right and in the blogosphere, and also drew a rebuke from Peter Wehner, director of the White House Office of Strategic Initiatives, which was e-mailed to reporters and others Tuesday. “It is noteworthy that Mr. Gore would travel to Saudi Arabia — a repressive society which is the home of Osama bin Laden and most of the terrorists who executed the worst attack on the American homeland in our history — to criticize (inaccurately) our government’s response to that attack.”

Umm… so which is it? Are Arab nations the underdog standardbearers of free enterprise, swimming against the tide of racism and paranoia, or are they hateful enemies of democracy who want to destroy us for our freedoms?

For me personally, there’s not a whole lot of difference between Saudi Arabia and UAE. I think they’re both unreliable and faithless “allies,” but in terms of where they stand with BushCo, I’m pretty sure the country that got slammed is far more favored and influential. As Froomkin helpfully reminds us:

But doesn’t the White House’s new get-tough rhetoric on Saudia Arabia clash somewhat with this memorable photo of Bush holding Saudi Crown Prince Abdullah’s hand as the two men walked through a field of bluebonnets at Bush’s Crawford ranch last spring?

Mwahahahaha… You just can’t make this shit up.

Entry Filed under: Bush,Dubai Ports World,Favorites,Politics,Wankers

• 1. Rob  |  February 21st, 2006 at 7:53 pm

Ok, I give up.

What does IOKIYUAE mean?

I Only Know I… Y… United Arab Emirates?

Sometimes I’m slow on the uptake.

• 2. spork_incident  |  February 21st, 2006 at 7:54 pm

IOKIYUAE

That took me a minute.

Well played, old boy, well played!

• 3. Eli  |  February 21st, 2006 at 7:56 pm

It’s a takeoff on IOKIYA (It’s Okay If You’re A Republican).

(Pfbeks. Heh.)

• 4. Eli  |  February 21st, 2006 at 8:13 pm

IOKIYAR, rather… Dang.

• 5. Elmo  |  February 21st, 2006 at 10:23 pm

Moneeeeeeeeey, itís a crime.
    Share it fairly but donít take a slice of my pie.

• 6. Mr. Natural  |  February 21st, 2006 at 11:15 pm

Great blog! I just wandered in from the comments at Atrios…

• 7. Eli  |  February 21st, 2006 at 11:20 pm

Cool! Thanks and welcome!

(Verification word: fuxincf – I wonder what language “incf” means “Bush” in…)

• 8. Neil Shakespeare  |  February 22nd, 2006 at 1:58 am

Makes me call for my Mwhaha too…

• 9. Multi Medium » (Um&&hellip  |  January 30th, 2007 at 11:37 pm

[…] What about letting them control our ports? Is that okay? Or does this only apply to bad Arab countries, like… Saudi Arabia? “The [New Delhi Sheraton] has just received a brief from the White House on what President Bush likes on his dining table. ‘President Bush loves Indian food and what’s more he knows it very well. He likes flavoured Indian food but does not like it too spicy, greasy or oily. Chicken and lamb are his favourites and he loves kebabs,’ says Executive Chef Amit Chaudhary. . . . […]