Pork: The Other, Um… Seafood?

6 comments March 26th, 2006at 07:03pm Posted by Eli

Don’t blame me, I researched with Kodos!

A microscopic worm may be the key to heart-friendly bacon.

Geneticists have mixed DNA from the roundworm C. elegans and pigs to produce swine with significant amounts of omega-3 fatty acids — the kind believed to stave off heart disease.

(snip)

”We all can use more omega-3 in our diet,” said Dr. Jing Kang, the Harvard Medical School researcher who modified the omega-3-making worm gene so it turned on in the pigs.

(snip)

While boosting Omega-3s doesn’t decrease the fat content in pigs, the fatty acids are also important to brain development and may reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and depression. The American Heart Association recommends at least two weekly servings of fish, particularly fatty fish like trout and salmon, which are naturally high in omega-3s.

This avenue of research raises many troubling questions, such as:

o Would it create some kind of horrific Baconstein monster?

o If it’s healthy in any way, can it truly be considered bacon?

o Will the modified omega-3 pigs live in porquariums instead of pens?

Such questions are above my paygrade; I leave them to the professional bioethicists.

Entry Filed under: Science,Weirdness

• 1. Interrobang  |  March 26th, 2006 at 9:04 pm

Ah, gawd! Jeezuz… I’m never eating bacon again!

At this rate, I’m going to be reduced to breatharianism, strictly from squeamishness alone.

• 2. Thersites  |  March 26th, 2006 at 10:42 pm

I like bacon.

• 3. Eli  |  March 26th, 2006 at 11:19 pm

Ah, gawd! Jeezuz… I’m never eating bacon again!

I think the takeaway here is that you should get in as much bacon-eating as you possibly can before the invasion of the mutant sushi pigs.

• 4. Interrobang  |  March 27th, 2006 at 11:22 pm

Yeah, I think you’re right, Eli. I like bacon too; that’s the problem. If I didn’t like bacon, I probably would have shrugged. *grin*

• 5. Phila  |  March 28th, 2006 at 3:06 pm

Ya know, maybe I’m crazy, but I think there’s something to be said for changing your behavior, instead of the genetics of your food animals.

• 6. flory  |  March 29th, 2006 at 1:49 am