Gay Marriage Is A Threat To Bullshit

7 comments June 5th, 2006at 11:37pm Posted by Eli

Just wanted to quickly expand on a comment I made chez Echidne regarding this “Defense Of Marriage Amendment” bullshit, which is basically that it is, in fact, as Echidne says, total bullshit.

The fundamentalist crazies don’t give two shits about the sanctity of marriage. They knew they couldn’t come out (heh) and say, “Gays shouldn’t be allowed to marry because they’re icky and gay and subhuman and we hate them,” so they had to come up with something that would sound vaguely plausible and positive. So instead of “attacking gays”, they’re “defending marriage.” Sure. Just like slaveowners were “defending freedom” by not allowing black people to cheapen it with their participation.

I guarantee you that not a single one of the Falwells, Dobsons, Robertsons, or their lackeys in Congress and the White House believes that gay marriage is in any way a threat to The Sacred Institution Of Marriage, and anyone who believes they do is a sucker.

I say again, Bullshit.

Entry Filed under: Favorites,Politics,Religion,Republicans,Teh Gay,Wankers

• 1. Elmo  |  June 6th, 2006 at 12:42 am

I hope the American people call bullshit too, otherwise…shiver

• 2. karmic_jay  |  June 6th, 2006 at 8:22 am

You called it right. It is BS. The ammendment ain’t gonna pass. So then what?
    Do they have enough to stoke the flames of hatred for November? I sort of doubt it. Most people tend to be reasonable. Also the economy, inflation, high gas prices, immigration, health care and the Iraq war are bigger concerns.

• 3. Eli  |  June 6th, 2006 at 1:06 pm

I hope you’re right, jay. And not just that they don’t buy the bullshit, but that the finally realize that they’re being bullshitted by people who think they’re stupid and hateful. I would *love* to see that backlash, and the Republicans scrambling desperately for a new strategy.

November is still a long way off, though. I’ll believe in the Great Awakening when I see it. I think there are still way too many people who way deep down find the lies and hatemongering comforting, because it reinforces their twisted worldview.

• 4. oldwhitelady  |  June 6th, 2006 at 8:44 pm

If they were worried about the sanctity of marriage, divorce would be the topic. I don’t see an outcry against divorce. of course, I’m not against divorce, sometimes, it is the best option. I’m agreeing with you that these jerks don’t want gays to have as many rights as heteros.

• 5. Neil Shakespeare  |  June 6th, 2006 at 10:39 pm

Dammit. It’s hot here. I’ve got the fans going, and I’m tired of all this shit they’re throwing at it!

• 6. Intergalactic Hussy  |  June 13th, 2006 at 6:56 pm

These assholes are jealous that there are people who love each other truly.

And have a problem picturing two men screwing (and two women who aren’t hot)… If these jerks only asked their wives nicely, maybe they’d get some anal sex too…

What is marriage anyway? A piece of paper proving you’re in love OR proving you’re a functioning member of a brainwashed society? Get over it!

• 7. Multi Medium » Burn&hellip  |  August 27th, 2007 at 8:34 pm

[…] 1) If Republicans and cultural conservatives oppose gay marriage because it somehow damages The Sacred Institution Of Marriage, then what is their objection to civil unions?  Is it possible that they’re not worried about the institution of marriage at all, and simply hate gay people? […]