OH. MY. GOD.

6 comments June 1st, 2006at 07:49pm Posted by Eli

Why was this not front-page news (or even reported) three years ago??? From a 2003 Ladies Home Journal interview with the Bushes, talking about the night of 9/11:

George W. Bush: But the day ended on a relatively humorous note. The agents said, “you’ll be sleeping downstairs. Washington’s still a dangerous place.” And I said no, I can’t sleep down there, the bed didn’t look comfortable. I was really tired, Laura was tired, we like our own bed. We like our own routine. You know, kind of a nester. I knew I had to deal with the issue the next day and provide strength and comfort to the country, and so I needed rest in order to be mentally prepared. [For all the rest he gets, why does he never seem even remotely "crisp" to me? Baked, maybe.] So I told the agent we’re going upstairs, and he reluctantly said okay. Laura wears contacts, and she was sound asleep. Barney was there. And the agent comes running up and says, “We’re under attack. We need you downstairs,” and so there we go. I’m in my running shorts and my T-shirt, and I’m barefooted. Got the dog in one hand, Laura had a cat, I’m holding Laura -

Laura Bush: I don’t have my contacts in , and I’m in my fuzzy house slippers -

George W. Bush: And this guy’s out of breath, and we’re heading straight down to the basement because there’s an incoming unidentified airplane, which is coming toward the White House. Then the guy says it’s a friendly airplane. And we hustle all the way back up stairs and go to bed.

Mrs. Bush: And we just lay there thinking about the way we must have looked.

Peggy Noonan (interviewer): So the day starts in tragedy and ends in Marx Brothers.

George W. Bush: That’s right – we got a laugh out of it.

Nothing quite like a massive terrorist attack in the morning to help you appreciate the absurdity of life.

This. Bastard. Has. No. Soul.

(hat tip to Arkenor)

Entry Filed under: Bush,Favorites,Politics,Terrorism,Wankers

• 1. spaghetti happens  |  June 1st, 2006 at 10:01 pm

I saw your comment over at Digby. “This 9/11 thing is working out for them pretty well.” I’d say that captures the whole Bush mentality pretty well.

How the citizens of this country could have elected, so to speak, and re-elected, so to speak, this man to our highest office will be fodder for historians for generations, to say nothing of being the great stigma of our age. It’s been a pretty quick fall from the Greatest Generation to the Stupidest.

• 2. Eli  |  June 1st, 2006 at 11:12 pm

Thanks. It was a play on Bar Bush’s callous remark about the Katrina refugees being better off than they were in their homes. Pure unspeakable evil, and she passed it all down to Dubya.

Future historians will blame, in no particular order, the media, an unquestioning populace, rigged/gamed elections, and a timid, passive Democratic party that was afraid to take a stand (election reform, not filibustering obviously bad bills or nominees) or call the Republicans out on all their shenanigans.

• 3. Elmo  |  June 2nd, 2006 at 4:21 pm

Sounds like September 11 was like an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies at the White House.

Can’t you see Bar as Granny, waving her iron pan at the terrorist shouting “why I’ll…George’ll go to fightin’ it!”

• 4. Eli  |  June 2nd, 2006 at 4:35 pm

I think the intent was to humanize them as “just folks”, but the insensitive tone-deafness is just spectacular.

(My verification word is PPILF – Parker Posey *is* pretty cute…)

• 5. NYMary  |  June 3rd, 2006 at 9:35 am

“Is the President a bear?”

“No, he’s a-wearing a neck-a-tie!

Wakka wakka wakka!”

Freaking sociopaths, the pair o’ them. They need those drugs to bear themselves and each other.

• 6. areaustralia  |  May 7th, 2008 at 2:25 am

competing and foxes these trees little on me. as proud it is a managed and saw When well I’d hoped to it

Coney Island Devil 2