Vintage Grand Prix Photoblogging I

13 comments July 16th, 2006at 12:36pm Posted by Eli

I spent a good chunk of Saturday afternoon wandering around, getting sunburned, and taking pictures of beautiful old cars at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. For sustenance, I had a corn dog, teriyaki-chicken-on-a-stick, a scoop of cherry ice cream, and some lemonade, all for a mere $17! Nutritious and economical! I did have a good time, even though I’m only a “car person” in the photographic sense.

I would have liked to see some Duesenbergs or Bugattis, though.

Pretty sure this is a Jag engine.

Quite possibly the most terrifying warning label I have ever seen.

Vroom! Vintage racers taking practice laps.

The most challenging thing for me about photographing vintage cars is keeping my own reflection out of the shot.

Entry Filed under: Favorites,Photoblogging,Pittsburgh

• 1. spocko  |  July 16th, 2006 at 3:50 pm

Loved the first shot, so much so that I featured it on my Nation sweeping blog (as featured by Joe Conason in Salon!)http://s88172659.onlinehome.us/2006/07/eli-makes-great-photo-of-my-future-jag.html

I swear I’ll get up to 30 readers with that story.

• 2. Lizzy  |  July 16th, 2006 at 4:16 pm

Eli,

I like the picture of the racers doing laps.

• 3. Eli  |  July 16th, 2006 at 4:24 pm

Thanks, spocko and Lizzy!

I have a bunch more practice-lap photos that I haven’t processed yet, and most of them are better than that one. You’ll be seeing them.

• 4. Lizzy  |  July 16th, 2006 at 4:33 pm

Eli,

Are you going to be able to come to Branford on Thursday? or is it too far?

• 5. Eli  |  July 16th, 2006 at 4:38 pm

Eh? Is that Jane’s do, or something else? Wherever it is, I’m afraid it’s probably too far, since I don’t drive, and it’s kind of a critical project week at work…

• 6. Lizzy  |  July 16th, 2006 at 4:42 pm

cye

• 7. Eli  |  July 16th, 2006 at 4:57 pm

Um.

• 8. spocko  |  July 16th, 2006 at 5:10 pm

You b blogrolled
    ……0.(my pword here)……

• 9. Eli  |  July 16th, 2006 at 5:20 pm

Cool! Thanks, Spocko!

• 10. Neil Shakespeare  |  July 17th, 2006 at 2:07 am

I thought that first picture was of a school of dolphins breaching. I wondered what those damn dolphins were doing at a car show…

• 11. wanso  |  July 21st, 2006 at 11:32 pm

thanks for the photos. i was there also. thought it a thin crowd this year. took advantage of opportunity to ride in a racer. great fun.

• 12. wanso  |  July 21st, 2006 at 11:32 pm

• 13. Eli  |  July 21st, 2006 at 11:48 pm

Oh, cool! I’d be envious if I actually drove…