Bug’s Eye View Photoblogging

5 comments October 26th, 2006at 08:12pm Posted by Eli

It took a little while, but while fooling around with the Wee Backup Camera at the dinner table, I discovered its Special Purpose. Between the smallness and the lack of a viewfinder, I found that it was really great for getting a “Land Of The Giants” perspective on everyday objects that’s hard to get with a giant SLR. I mean, yeah, I could get down to table level with my main camera, but quite frankly I would look like even more of a freak, and would effectively be removing myself from the conversation pretty dramatically. It’s also a lot better for candid photos, although I probably won’t post any of those unless I get an okay.

But with a small camera, it’s like sending a tiny little avatar of yourself down into Table World, to wander around taking gawky tourist pictures of the enormous landmarks it encounters. Fun stuff.

The forks are not to be trusted.

My glasses.

All gone!

My uncle attempts to hide behind some enormous and festive flowers.

Entry Filed under: La Jolla/San Diego,Photoblogging

• 1. Matt  |  October 26th, 2006 at 8:56 pm

Nice shots, Eli — especially considering the wee camera. Sometimes, the limitations of a camera can be turned into virtues — I think you’ve shown that well here.

• 2. Eli  |  October 26th, 2006 at 9:22 pm

Thanks, Matt!

I probably shouldn’t sell the backup camera short – it’s a decent camera in its own right, but I had a hard time getting excited about using a non-SLR. I know this is kinda photosnobby, but point-and-shoots have always felt a little too much like glorified Instamatics to me (bear in mind I’ve been an SLR user since I was 12), so it’s cool to find a niche for them, and a value beyond being small enough to stick in a pocket or on a belt and take anywhere.

• 3. four legs good  |  October 27th, 2006 at 12:06 am

You don’t shoot things up close with your SLR? I always do.

Though sometimes I wish a had a decent little backup camera too.

• 4. Eli  |  October 27th, 2006 at 12:25 am

Oh, absolutely. But not from table level. It’s the angle, the perspective that’s novel, not the close-uppitude.

• 5. Sanjay  |  October 27th, 2006 at 11:59 am

Eli.. the mini-me stands up well to the SLR!

Vintage Grand Prix 08-5