You Missed A Spot.

11 comments November 29th, 2006at 08:34pm Posted by Eli

Yeah, Gilliard’s a pretty good pessimist, and so are his commenters.

But I was surprised that none of them pointed out the obvious: That if we do withdraw from Iraq, and it becomes an even worse bloodbath than the occupation, the Republican and media spin will be that this is all the Democrats’ fault. After all, it was the Democrats who wanted the troops to retreat before the job was finished (of course, whether “finished” means Iraq becomes a paragon of democracy or a lifeless, smoking wasteland depends on which conservative nutbar you talk to).

So therefore, any casualties incurred while doing what the Defeatocrats wanted are therefore entirely on our effete, latte-sipping eggheads. Never mind that we never wanted the troops there in the first place.

Tell me I’m wrong.

Entry Filed under: Media,Politics

• 1. spocko  |  November 30th, 2006 at 1:37 am

Not gonna do it. You are right.

So very, very right.

Do you really think that they will say, okay. I just mocked withdrawling as “cut and running” for the last 2 years. Now I’ll admit that my comments were overly black and white and accept the responsiblity for the mess I made.

Not gonna do it.

Oh and check out David Neiwert’s blog post I’m in it. Wheeee!

P.S. I’ll cc you on my recent letter to execs.

• 2. Eli  |  November 30th, 2006 at 1:44 am

Sucks, don’t it. I do pride myself on my ability to find the cyanide lining in every cloud.

Oh, and you just reminded me that I’m itching for an opportunity to sing, “Throw the shrew down the well, so my country can be free…” (There may be “If the shrew fits” opportunities as well)

• 3. The Heretik  |  November 30th, 2006 at 1:53 am

Yeah, quite so.

• 4. Sanjay  |  November 30th, 2006 at 7:59 am

It is going to be the dems fault. That will be the narrative. You are so right I am afriad.

• 5. Thers  |  November 30th, 2006 at 8:16 pm

Eli —

read this & thought of you — Eli Manning snark

• 6. oldwhitelady  |  December 1st, 2006 at 11:56 am

Your wrong!! Ha ha ah ha ha… Actually, you are absolutely correct!

• 7. SwimDeep AKA HopeSpringsATurtle  |  December 1st, 2006 at 6:39 pm

Sadly, no. How did Lyndon Johnson get back in the mix? Poor dems. we always have to clean up the thugs messes then get blamed because we didn’t do a good-enough job.

• 8. charley  |  December 2nd, 2006 at 10:05 am

we aren’t leaving iraq.

• 9. charley  |  December 2nd, 2006 at 10:41 am

why wait?

of course this is good for republicans.

• 10. op99  |  December 4th, 2006 at 5:12 pm

OK, you’re wrong. If the denouement, wrt US participation, happens during the Bush administration, all the king’s spinners and all the king’s men will not be sufficient to divert the blame. If it happens in the next administration, all bets are off. So from a crass political standpoint, if it’s going to happen eventually anyway, then, to guote The Bard:

If it were done when ’tis done, then t’were well. It were done quickly.

• 11. Eli  |  December 4th, 2006 at 7:09 pm

They may not be sufficient, and I sure as hell hope they’re not; but they’re still going to try it.