Erosion

8 comments December 8th, 2006at 06:13pm Posted by Eli

I think Dubya is officially cratering. Atrios links to the latest Zogby poll numbers, and they’re bad, very bad.

Not only is his overall approval down to 30% (a new low for this poll), but his approval among Republicans is down to 60% (it used to be up in the 80s), and among Born Again Christians, it’s 43%. I repeat, 43%. That’s… spectacular. And in case you’re wondering, he’s at 22% among Independents, and 9% among Democrats (the 9% must all live in Connecticut or something).

Consider also, this poll began before the ISG Report came out and mainstreamed the idea that the Iraq invasion was a catastrophic mistake, and (I believe) completed before Bush blew off the Report’s recommendation to start withdrawing troops from Iraq, which was, well, kinda the whole point.

But, Barney has a new video! He’s planning a Holiday Extravaganza! Hard to say how this might affect the numbers – on the one paw, everyone loves Barney. On the other paw, he’s throwing away a lot of his hard-earned political capital by joining the Anti-Christmasofascist hordes.

Entry Filed under: Bush,Politics,Polls

• 1. Jenny from the Blog  |  December 8th, 2006 at 10:41 pm

Wow, 43% Born Agains. That’s just a mind-blowing number. At this rate he’ll probably finish out his term at 1%.

I’d laugh but nothing about that guy is funny.

• 2. Eli  |  December 8th, 2006 at 10:50 pm

Heh heh heh…

I believe 20% is his absolute floor of core supporters who will believe in him no matter what, even if the baby Jesus Himself tells them he’s an asshole.

• 3. Kai  |  December 9th, 2006 at 12:37 am

Damn. That last 30% of approvers is like a concentrated distillation of seriously ill wingnuttery. If this political stew keeps simmering like Jenny from the Blog says, Bush supporters are gonna keep on reducing down to a final 1%, at which point you might as well just throw a dragnet over that entire group because they’re potentially dangerous to themselves and others.

And hey yeah, what the hell’s wrong with those 9% of Dems? Leave Connecticut alone, not everything’s our fault! ;-)

• 4. Eli  |  December 9th, 2006 at 12:44 am

All I’m sayin’ is, there’s an awful lot of Democratic voters in CT who seem a bit confused about the definition of “Democrat” – although I suppose the same could be true in other states as well.

(Hell, my state picked Bob Casey Jr. in the primary…)

• 5. hisstoryman,Hunter of Da Snark  |  December 9th, 2006 at 6:37 am

Several questions remain:

1)What are the rules for born-again dinosaurs in matters like this?

2)Can he be thrown out of his congregation or did Barney become Unitarian???

3)Where do they find these Stepford siblings that are on his show?

• 6. charley  |  December 9th, 2006 at 9:22 am

just wait till the next terrists attac k

you’ll see.

i was really pissed off this morning thinking of all the people in 04 telling me “yeah, but should we change horses in midstream?” whadya say now morans.

• 7. Eli  |  December 9th, 2006 at 9:38 am

1)What are the rules for born-again dinosaurs in matters like this?

Um, not that Barney, dude.

just wait till the next terrists attac k

you’ll see.

I’m not even sure that will work to Bush’s advantage at this point; I think it would just expose his foolishness and incompetence even more.

• 8. charley  |  December 9th, 2006 at 3:11 pm

I’m not even sure that will work to Bush’s advantage at this point;

oh, i’m not saying it would work to his advantage, i’m just say’n…