Let’s Hope.

6 comments January 25th, 2007at 11:55pm Posted by Eli

Digby:

…I just saw [new DLC chair Harold Ford] interviewed by Blitzer and he did not succumb to the temptation to use liberals as his foil — indeed, he argued with Blitzer’s entire premise which was that the party was divided along crazies vs centrist lines. He even interrupted to point out that the DLC had strongly backed “progressive” legislation during the 90’s like family and medical leave.

More importantly, he came out strongly against the escalation, which was my biggest concern. True, he did use Republicans Warner and Hagel as his benchmarks for seriousness, which was annoying, but it was a minor transgression compared to what I expected….

Ford is a talented politician. It would be nice to see him use his gifts for good. If he can persuade the DLC that they do not need to reflexively trash their fellow Democrats, even when Wolf Blitzer is tossing them opportunity after opportunity to do so, then perhaps they will not be the pernicious influence on the political discourse that they grew into during the 90’s and the Bush years. Baby steps.

Amen to that. The last thing Democrats need to do is help the Republicans to marginalize progressives.

Entry Filed under: Democrats,Politics

• 1. HopeSpringsATurtle  |  January 26th, 2007 at 1:13 am

Yes, let us Hope.

• 2. Syd B  |  January 26th, 2007 at 2:51 am

it is like the johnny cash of blogs up in here

would you consider blog rolling my blog?

• 3. Ruth  |  January 26th, 2007 at 6:46 am

If Dems would do more getting along it would help. I get tired of hearing progressive/liberals trashing everyone from Diane Feinstein to Ted Kennedy to Barack Obama because they aren’t on point with pet issues.

• 4. karmicjay  |  January 26th, 2007 at 8:04 am

Ain’t nothing wrong with soem hope once in a while. :) So I hope too.

• 5. Eli  |  January 26th, 2007 at 9:05 am

Can never have too much Hope.

Syd – done.

I don’t mind progressives chiding corporate sellouts, because NO-ONE ELSE WILL. Besides, it’s not like anyone listens to us anyway.

• 6. charley  |  January 26th, 2007 at 12:52 pm

johnny cash of blogs.

i get it.

i’m wearing black until bush and cheney go to jail.