Spocko Is Dead, Long Live And Prosper Spocko!

7 comments January 6th, 2007at 03:12pm Posted by Eli

I really can’t add much of anything to El Gato Negro and spocko’s background and action plan info at Online Blogintegrity. Suffice it to say that spocko has been on a righteous and sometimes successful crusade to make advertisers aware of the truly vile things their sociopathic wingnut sponsorees (primarily Melanie Morgan, Lee Rogers, and Brian Sussman) have been saying on KSFO radio.

Worse yet, KSFO is a subsidiary of Disney, which means that:

A) They bask in Disney’s family-friendly aura, which makes companies feel safe advertising with them, because Hey, it’s Disney, so it’s not like they’re going to say anything sadistic, racist, or violent, right?

B) They have virtually unlimited resources to crush wee bloggers and private citizens like spocko, and have been trying to do just that, which is why spocko’s blog has been offline for a while: They sent his chickenshit hosting company, 1&1 Internet, a groundless cease-and-desist letter for supposedly hosting copyrighted content (the audio clips in my second link, which fall very comfortably under the provisions for fair use). 1&1 gave spocko 24 hours to remove the content, he complied, and then they pulled his plug anyway. Lovely.

Fortunately, spocko has been getting some help from the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), and has found a new host for his blog, so he should be back online soon. And as a result of Disney’s bigfoot tactics, this has metastasized from being Spocko’s Lonely Crusade to being a lefty blogosphere cause celebre. Smooth move, Ex-Lax.

So, to sum up: Yay spocko! Yay lefty blogosphere! Fuck KSFO! Fuck Disney! Fuck 1&1!

Oh, and a pre-emptive fuck-you to KSFO/Disney professional troll “blogicalthought.” I don’t typically delete troll comments, but I’ll delete yours – if your masters don’t want to let spocko have his say, I don’t see why I should let you have yours. And before you start blathering about how he’s trying to suppress KSFO’s “freedom of speech,” I’ll just point out that there’s a big difference between informing advertisers of what they’re paying for, vs. actually silencing someone through legal action and plug-pulling. So bite me.

Entry Filed under: Media,Politics,Wankers

• 1. op99  |  January 6th, 2007 at 6:19 pm

Drives me crazy when people (who I’m sure know better)confuse freedom of speech (freedom from government censorship) with the right of people to boycott, and the right of advertisers to advertise where they want, or not.

• 2. ripley  |  January 7th, 2007 at 3:29 am

Huzzah!

You’re a slighty salty and potentially tingly mix of Righteous Brother and Hep Cat.

This thing has become so Huge that I’m tempted to stay home on Monday to watch the carnage.

And.. umm… Lee Rogers wears ladies’ panties!

• 3. PoliShifter  |  January 7th, 2007 at 3:14 pm

Thanks for your post and video.

I had not heard about the Spocko Blog and Disney controversy until today when on another blog someone mentioned they were “studying” the Spocko Blog Disney conflict.

Naturally, I googled Spocko’s Blog Disney (or something like that) and ended up here.

Now I know what’s going on. Thanks.

• 4. Eli  |  January 7th, 2007 at 3:16 pm

My pleasure, although I am by no means the definitive take on it.

• 5. spocko  |  January 9th, 2007 at 2:38 am

Eli. I owe you for the pre-emptive comment.
    Thanks,
    Your friend
    Spocko

• 6. Anonymous  |  January 13th, 2007 at 1:09 pm

I have loved listening to KSFO for years to hear the opposite of the left lunacy in the bay area. Why FIBERALS are afraid is beyond me. You are trying to squash free speech….laughable….you are like the Dean weenies that were “sure” he’d be our next President. Grow up already.

• 7. Anonymous  |  January 13th, 2007 at 1:15 pm