Archive for February 9th, 2007

What Now, Bitches?

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
I just found this entirely by accident, while looking for information on Windows Mobile browsers that support Javascript and don’t freeze up with alarming regularity… (You can click on it for a closer look)

From xkcd, by way of DougT. (Back story here)

4 comments February 9th, 2007 at 07:12pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Coolness,Technology,Wankers

Strange Question

I’m not entirely sure I understand Christy’s question:

Ultimately, every national security matter these days comes down to the following: do you trust George Bush’s judgment to make the right decision based on complete, honest, and real information? Because for me, that answer is decidedly: no. How about you?

I have to assume that the question is about whether Dubya can be trusted to pay attention to good intel, rather than whether he would base appropriate decisions on it. If it’s the latter, then it’s so hypothetical as to be meaningless – Dubya would never even be caught in the same room as intel that did not support whatever cockamamie decision he had already made.

9 comments February 9th, 2007 at 01:48pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Bush,Iran,Iraq,Politics,War

Great Moments In Criminal Defense

And you thought the Libby defense was lame…

The Manhattan yoga instructor accused of killing his stripper ex-girlfriend recited poetry and even rapped in court yesterday as he denied stabbing Catherine Woods to death.

Taking the witness stand in Manhattan Supreme Court, Paul Cortez insisted he did not kill Woods on Nov. 27, 2005 – and tried to explain how his bloody fingerprint may have ended up on a wall in her upper East Side apartment.

Prosecutors are using the fingerprint to pin the murder on Cortez. But he told jurors he and Woods sometimes had sex when she menstruated. Asked by his attorney Laura Miranda if he ever got his hands “dirty” during sex, he said, “Yes.”

Miranda then asked him if he touched the walls during his repeated romps with Woods.

“I might have, yes,” he said.

Okay, so… There’s no way to differentiate between menstrual blood and arterial blood? There’s no way to determine relative “freshness” of blood? ‘Cuz I’m assuming that Crazy Yoga Boy hadn’t had sex with her for quite a while before she was killed. Also, is it really plausible that Woods would have left a Bloody Sex Fingerprint on her wall and not cleaned it off? That’s a hell of a strange way to cling to the memory of happier times.

…[P]rosecutors say Cortez, 26, fantasized about killing Woods after she broke off their relationship. Prosecutors have accused Cortez of penning macabre poems and song lyrics describing the brutal slaying.

Rocking from side to side, Cortez performed the rap-like recitation of his song “Killin’ Machine” in the courtroom yesterday. Cortez said the lyrics – including “Shakin’ on the killin’ machine, ya got violated” – had nothing to do with Woods. The title of the song, he said, actually refers to a jumbo-sized sex toy.

“It’s actually a nice song,” he said.

Well played, Crazy Yoga Boy. Well played.

3 comments February 9th, 2007 at 12:38pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Weirdness

Hypocriteproofing

I know I’m a bit late to this party, but I’ve been kind of out of circulation. I’ve been saying this in the comments of other blogs enough times that I figured it might be worth devoting an actual post to it – that’s what blogs are for, after all. Well, that and obscene anti-Catholic bigotry, right?

Which bring me to John Edwards’ lukewarm response to Bill Donohue’s fake outrage at the supposed anti-Catholic bigotry of newly-hired Edwards bloggers Amanda Marcotte (“Pandagon”) and Melissa McEwen (“Shakespear’s Sister”).

Yes, I’m glad that Edwards at least had enough spine to (barely) keep them on the payroll, but I think it was a huge mistake to let Donohue off scot-free, much less agree with him. What Edwards needed to do was counterattack and point out some lurid instances of Donohue’s own gross slurs against Jews, Muslims, and gays, and demand to know what moral standing Donohue has to accuse anyone else of bigotry. And not just Edwards, but anyone Donohue ever attacks in the future. This should be the Democratic gameplan for attacks by Republican hypocrites: CALL THEM ON IT. Every. Single. Time. It probably won’t stop all of them from attacking, but it will expose the phoniness of the attack and, more importantly, the attacker.

I see no reason to legitimize unprincipled Republican operatives as honest purveyors of honest criticism. If a Republican expresses honest criticism, fine, take that seriously and engage it on the merits. But at least do a little research to confirm that that’s the case before you assume that they’re just an Outraged Citizen Voicing His Beliefs.

This is terribly cynical, but another added benefit of this approach is that if employed effectively and often, it will begin to make all Republican attacks look suspicious, even ones that might actually be legitimate. The political game is all about credibility, and the Republicans have been ceded far more than they’ve earned.

Of course, this all assumes that the media can’t ignore or spin the counterattacks, which is admittedly dicey. I still think it’s worth a shot, though – the Democrats need more Hacketts and Webbs who refuse to back down or sugarcoat.

9 comments February 9th, 2007 at 12:05pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Democrats,Politics,Religion,Republicans

Friday Quote & Puppy Blogging

This week’s quote is a repeat because I’m away from my quote repository. It’s from the Troma classic, Killer Condom:

I look like your mother and you love me! My therapist says so and it’s true!

And, of course, there’ll be other people’s puppies:

Aww.

February 9th, 2007 at 09:24am Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Cuteness,Favorites,Friday Quote & Cat Blogging

Houhaha

No way:

A modified marquee in Atlantic Beach has been drawing some attention. “Hoohaa” replaced a word in the title of a play after a driver complained about finding the previous wording offensive.

The marquis for Atlantic Theaters advertises a number of plays including, the Masquerade Ball, Band Jam, and now The Hoohaa Monologues.

(…)

“We got a complaint about this play The Vagina Monologues,” said Bryce Pfanenstiel, of the Atlantic Theater.

The Hoohah Monologues is a replacement title for The Vagina Monologues — a well-known play about that part of the female body.”We decided we would just use child slang for it. That’s how we decided on Hoohah Monologues,” Pfanenstiel said.They did this after a driver who saw it complained to the theater, saying she was upset that her niece saw it.

Oy.

By way of Lawyers, Guns and Money and Feministing, who both have good feminist takes on this inanity. Me, I can’t get past the wall of burning stupid.

February 9th, 2007 at 01:09am Posted by Eli