Bye Bye, Mitt.

6 comments February 25th, 2007at 01:36pm Posted by Eli

I’m not going to bother defending Mitt from irrelevant smears against his long-dead ancestors. I’m just going to make the observation that since the mainstream media is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Republican establishment, it’s a pretty safe bet that the Republican establishment does not want Mitt as the Rominee.

Just to make this clear: The reason I say this is not because it is simply an anti-Mitt story, but because it is a completely frivolous, bullshit anti-Mitt story, of exactly the same mean-spirited and content-free nature as the ones used to smear Democratic candidates (contrast this with a complete absence of snarky stories about Rudy or McCain’s marital histories). Mitt’s out; he just doesn’t know it yet.

Entry Filed under: Media,Politics,Religion,Republicans

• 1. Interrobang  |  February 25th, 2007 at 2:17 pm

I have to agree with you. This is so blatantly pandering to the anti-Mormons in the crowd.

(Full disclosure: I don’t care much for Mormons, either, but that’s mostly because a) I’m generally antireligious, and b) my major exposure to them has been to their missionaries, and I have no use whatsoever for missionaries of any stripe — the phrase “proselytising weenies” comes to mind. If your religion needs to be constantly soliciting new believers, it probably sucks worse than most religions. I also don’t care much for their attitude towards women, but I could say that about almost any religion you’d care to name. In other words, it has nothing to do with this bullshit they’re lobbing at Romney.)

• 2. charley  |  February 25th, 2007 at 7:02 pm

i said this at unclaimed territory many months ago.

no way is mitt going to be president.

at least not if he has to attract the religious right to do so. before it was the religious right it was just born again christians. and born again christians consider mormonism to be a cult. he may as well be a jehovah witness.

interestingly, when i was involved carter was president. we did not think that such a good thing, as politics should be seperate from religion. grandpa reagan change all that. this is a very shallow society.

believe it or not, i actually think the blowjob solidified the dividing line.

• 3. MEC  |  February 25th, 2007 at 9:05 pm

Yeah, the so-called “news” media don’t even bother to be subtle with their smears anymore. And that breaking news that “A Mormon Has Polygamous Ancestors Who Died Years Before He Was Born!” smear was about as subtle as BushCo’s repeated statements associating Saddam Hussein with al Qaeda.

It’s especially offensive considering that the so-called “news” media completely ignored Prescott Bush’s sordid past trading with the enemy, considering that bit of Bush family history was a significant factor in enabling the Bushes’ political careers.

• 4. Eli  |  February 26th, 2007 at 9:07 am

I don’t remember hearing much of anything about Ahnold’s Nazi dad during the CA recall.

Also, didn’t the media try to keep Dubya’s DUI & National Guard service under wraps in 2000 so as not to “influence the election”?

• 5. MEC  |  February 26th, 2007 at 7:53 pm

Yes, and they were so concerned about being impartial that they kept crucial details about his performance in office under wraps until after the 2004 election.

But it’s not like they neglected to tell us the really important stuff. They did report that Dubya was descended from William the Conqueror.

• 6. Eli  |  February 26th, 2007 at 8:07 pm

They did report that Dubya was descended from William the Conqueror.

I would have guessed Cromwell. Or Torquemada.