Missed Opportunity

7 comments February 13th, 2007at 07:40pm Posted by Eli

Now Melissa’s resigned too, and I’ll use the same excerpt Echidne chose:

There will be some who clamor to claim victory for my resignation, but I caution them that in doing so, they are tacitly accepting responsibility for those who have deluged my blog and my inbox with vitriol and veiled threats. It is not right-wing bloggers, nor people like Bill Donohue or Bill O’Reilly, who prompted nor deserve credit for my resignation, no matter how much they want it, but individuals who used public criticisms of me as an excuse to unleash frightening ugliness, the likes of which anyone with a modicum of respect for responsible discourse would denounce without hesitation.

This is a win for no one.

Sigh. I know I’m being insensitive to how hard this was for Amanda and Melissa to go through, but I can’t help but think what a huge missed opportunity this was in terms of narrative.

Instead of “Liberal bloggers cave to conservative/religious pressure”, the narrative should have been, “Liberal bloggers subjected to threats and vulgar attacks by out-of-control right-wing pseudo-religious hatemongers.” Yes, Amanda and Melissa will tell the sordid tale on their blogs, but that’s just not the same kind of platform as Edwards himself would have had if he angrily denounced the hypocrites attacking his staffers, and demanded to know where their sense of Christian decency is. It could have been a “teachable moment” about the Republicans’ amoral slash-and-burn approach to politics. Edwards would be a hero, and Donohue would be exposed for the villain he is.

I know, it’s just Not The Way Things Are Done in Civilityworld, but until you reveal what these people are and make them pay a price for crawling out from under their rocks, they’re just going to keep coming back again, and again, and again, and they’ll be taken seriously Every. Single. Time.

Entry Filed under: Politics,Religion,Republicans,Sexism,Wankers

• 1. elmo  |  February 13th, 2007 at 8:07 pm

…but until you reveal what these people are and make them pay a price for crawling out from under their rocks, they’re just going to keep coming back again, and again, and again, and they’ll be taken seriously Every. Single. Time.

BINGO! I pray there will be no need for my…well, rather vile side, one day.

• 2. Interrobang  |  February 14th, 2007 at 12:39 am

Some of the hate mail is breathtaking in its irony. People throwing things around like, “You are a pottymouth cunt.” And that makes you a what?

• 3. Eli  |  February 14th, 2007 at 12:42 am

Stay ready, Elmo. If nothing else, the Hackett campaign may need a blogger someday.

Some of the hate mail is breathtaking in its irony.

“Some”?

• 4. elmo  |  February 14th, 2007 at 1:37 am

LOL…really loud!

• 5. Glenn  |  February 14th, 2007 at 7:55 am

The only loser is Edwards. Just once, won’t somebody turn the mirror on these people and show them their true selves?

• 6. Eli  |  February 14th, 2007 at 8:48 am

Yeah, I’ve been waiting for Edwards to show that he’s grown some balls since 2004. Sure, he refused to fire them, but his statement of “support” was not exactly convincing, and he decided to keep his powder dry rather than counterattack.

If that’s a preview of his campaign, we might as well bring Kerry back.

• 7. Multi Medium » Danc&hellip  |  February 17th, 2007 at 2:42 pm

[…] The Edwards fiasco, and Glenn Greenwald’s recent echoing of my observation that the Republicans do not appear to be very serious about what they claim to be serious about both highlight something that I’m very frustrated about. What’s bugging me is that, with a few exceptions, the Democrats always take everything the Republicans say at face value, rather than as cynical political manipulation. […]