Strange Question

9 comments February 9th, 2007at 01:48pm Posted by Eli

I’m not entirely sure I understand Christy’s question:

Ultimately, every national security matter these days comes down to the following: do you trust George Bush’s judgment to make the right decision based on complete, honest, and real information? Because for me, that answer is decidedly: no. How about you?

I have to assume that the question is about whether Dubya can be trusted to pay attention to good intel, rather than whether he would base appropriate decisions on it. If it’s the latter, then it’s so hypothetical as to be meaningless – Dubya would never even be caught in the same room as intel that did not support whatever cockamamie decision he had already made.

Entry Filed under: Bush,Iran,Iraq,Politics,War

• 1. Jenny from the Blog  |  February 9th, 2007 at 2:11 pm

That’s actually a stunningly naive question coming from Christy. This administration is so corrupt we can safely assume there is no objective or accurate intel coming into the oval office. Your assessment is spot-on, Eli.

• 2. Eli  |  February 9th, 2007 at 2:52 pm

As I re-read it, I’m increasingly convinced that it is more along the lines of “Do you trust Bush to use good intel out of a desire to make good decisions?”, as opposed to “Do you think Bush will make good decisions if we can force him to only look at good intel?”

Even if we *could* force Dubya to only look at good intel, he would still make decisions based solely on the magical fairytale narrative going on in his head.

• 3. Glenn  |  February 9th, 2007 at 5:49 pm

We’re moving deeper and deeper into a fantasy world woven from the whole cloth of Bush’s fevered, atrophied brain. Not even his handlers can or will control him anymore. Like his previous “business partners” of the past, the American people will be shoveling his shit for the next twenty years.

• 4. Eli  |  February 9th, 2007 at 6:31 pm

His business partners had deeper pockets.

• 5. SPIIDERWEB™  |  February 9th, 2007 at 9:58 pm

From any angle, I don’t trust Bush on listening to accurate intelligence or on acting intelligently in making decisions.

• 6. MEC  |  February 9th, 2007 at 10:32 pm

I think it’s really a two-part question: Do we trust Bush to pay attention to good intel? And do we trust Bush to make good decisions?

The answer to each question is decidedly no.

To quote one of the many good people Salon’s Table Talk forum: For Bush, the truth is whatever gets him what he wants.

• 7. PoliShifter  |  February 9th, 2007 at 11:04 pm

When Dubya’s mouth moves, he’s lying.

• 8. Eli  |  February 9th, 2007 at 11:08 pm

Yeah. I *think* what Christy was getting at was that presidents are supposed to use good intel to make good decisions. Bush has no interest in either part of that.

• 9. shoephone  |  February 10th, 2007 at 3:56 am

Gosh, but I love the word “cockamamie”.