Gonzo’s Head Not Worth Much

5 comments March 14th, 2007at 11:15am Posted by Eli

Well, pretty much everyone is calling for AG-Squared’s resignation at this point. I’m not sure if it’ll actually happen, since he accepted responsibility for the US Attorney firings and the National Security Letter abuses, while at the same time insisting that he had nothing to do with them. And in the case of the Attorney firings, Gonzo and everyone in the administration have made it very clear that no crime was committed.

If Gonzo retires or is fired for the Attorney massacre (currently a much hotter topic than the NSLs, which may be more Mueller’s problem), that would be an admission that the mass firings were improper, which is not a road the White House wants to travel.

That being said, there are two reasons Gonzo’s exit wouldn’t excite me much:

1) He’s not the problem. Gonzo was just doing his job as defined by his boss (see Rumsfeld, Donald). In Dubya’s eyes, his only crime was getting caught. If he resigns or is fired, he’ll just be a scapegoat for the real culprits (Bush/Rove/Miers), and to give Dubya the appearance of taking Bold Decisive Action to rid his administration of corruption and cronyism. Which is a sham, because:

2) With the exception of Rumsfeld, Bush never gets rid of anyone unless he has lined up a replacement who’s even worse. My money’s on John Yoo or Glenn Reynolds. Or maybe Harriet Miers…

Hopefully the Democratic majority will be able to prove me wrong on both counts. If they pull the thread of “If the firings were indeed improper, then who gave Gonzo his marching orders?”, then his demise does not let BushCo. off the hook. And if they’re aggressive about the confirmation process (and can somehow keep Lieberman in line), they can prevent Bush from naming Hinderaker or Althouse the next AG.

Schumer’s been talking a very good game on this; if he backs it up like he says he will, this could get much, much worse for Dubya.

Entry Filed under: Bush,Corruption/Cronyism,Politics,Republicans,Wankers

• 1. Mary  |  March 14th, 2007 at 6:47 pm

I’m hopeful Leahy will walk this back into the WH, but I think you are absolutely right that the problem isn’t Gonzales, per se, but his boss. GWB will find “another” Gonzales, bc there is always another, and bc it is what he wants.

Still, you didn’t have to give me these kind of nightmares:

“My moneyís on John Yoo or Glenn Reynolds”

• 2. Eli  |  March 14th, 2007 at 10:33 pm

Hey, I gave you a couple of other options to consider – I’m not a monster.

I hope Leahy can get past the Mierwall.

• 3. virgotex  |  March 14th, 2007 at 10:55 pm

Even my cat can tell that Gonzales doesn’t have an independent bone in his body. He’s too much an obvious lap dog to be the problem. Like Molly Ivins said, ” heís too lightweight to even be a mediocrity.”

I also tend to think they would have a contingency so it wouldn’t shake them up that much.

I do however, think it’s bad PR, no matter how they spin it. And they don’t need more of that.

• 4. Eli  |  March 14th, 2007 at 11:01 pm

I do however, think itís bad PR, no matter how they spin it. And they donít need more of that.

Absolutely. They never thought it would get out. Or if it did, they never thought that the story behind it would get out. I guess they got spoiled.

• 5. virgotex  |  March 14th, 2007 at 11:53 pm

yeah, when the Huffington Post and CNN lead with the exact same headline (it was yesterday or the day before re the email trail), you know the WH is having a bad day.