Just A Thought

8 comments March 31st, 2007at 03:27pm Posted by Eli

Maybe the significance of the Chocolate Jesus being displayed during Holy Week is that it’s intended as a commentary on the absurdity of Easter’s commercial side when compared to its religious significance? I mean, a chocolate Jesus really does straddle both worlds quite effectively. Maybe the sculptor should have put him in a giant basket of fake grass and jellybeans to really drive the point home. Or he could have crucified the Easter Bunny, but that would have just creeped out everybody.

Maybe in another nine months, we can be treated to Tinsel Jesus or Wrapping-Paper Jesus or Jolly Fat Red-And-White-Fur-Coat-Wearing Jesus. (Note: Please do not crucify Santa Claus. Thank you.)

Entry Filed under: Religion,Weirdness

• 1. PoliShifter  |  March 31st, 2007 at 4:08 pm

I suggested over at Blondesense that it would make more sense to celebrate Easter with chocolate Jesus; meling him down on Good Friday back into the mold and popping him out of the mold on Sunday, symbolizing the crucifixion and resurrection.

That would make more sense to Christians than glorifying fertility symbols like eggs and bunnies or gorging on candy and feasting on ham.

• 2. Donna  |  March 31st, 2007 at 4:41 pm

I’m laughing at the idea of Jesus pieces and thinking they should break him down into little pieces for communion on Easter sunday, the body of Christ and all that. I want to see this artist do a big marshmallow Jesus peep for next Easter!

I loved the cat video too. My cat would have freaked out and tried to kill all the dogs or at least take a few with her before they killed her.

• 3. charley  |  March 31st, 2007 at 6:59 pm

i actually did that once. i have a picture to prove it. ok, i didn’t say it was a good picture, and it did creep everyone out, including me.

but the real issue is the chocolate penis. that’s what they’re upset about.

• 4. Eli  |  March 31st, 2007 at 7:36 pm

As long as they get to have chocolate, they should be okay with it.

I want to see this artist do a big marshmallow Jesus peep for next Easter!

Marshmallow Jesus would be *awesome*.

but the real issue is the chocolate penis. that’s what they’re upset about.

Jesus wasn’t anatomically correct?

• 5. Ripley  |  March 31st, 2007 at 9:46 pm

If we can’t worship chocolate Jeebus in America, what hope do we have???

Tomorrow, I shall continue my boycott of the Catholic Church by staying home, browsing the internets and not worshipping anything except technology and beer. And maybe hot sauce.

• 6. spocko  |  March 31st, 2007 at 10:44 pm

1. PoliShifter Jesus melted into a mold and recreated on easter!
    That is a great concept. Do yourself a favor and rent the movie Jesus of Montreal
    Very interesting retelling.

• 7. Eli  |  March 31st, 2007 at 10:57 pm

Beer & Hot Sauce Jesus would certainly be… interesting.

• 8. Donna  |  March 31st, 2007 at 11:07 pm

I’m the latest convert to Ripley’s church of technology, beer, and hot sauce!