My Foolproof Business Plan

7 comments March 25th, 2007at 03:58pm Posted by Eli

I am positive that this would be a huge, runaway success:

A restaurant where each meal is $20 even, with tax & tip included.

It wouldn’t attract a lot of couples, but it would own the large-groups segment. (Better make sure it has lots of large, circular tables.)

Entry Filed under: Uncategorized

• 1. MEC  |  March 25th, 2007 at 4:05 pm

Including nonalcoholic beverages & refills?

• 2. Eli  |  March 25th, 2007 at 4:51 pm

Of course. Maybe even alcoholic ones, within a certain limit.

• 3. Interrobang  |  March 25th, 2007 at 8:06 pm

That is a good idea. You could probably also totally own the corporate-luncheon market, too. Do you know anything about running a restaurant, though? What little I do know indicates that it’s an extremely narrow-margin business.

I bet you could get the couples market, at least sometimes, if you had the right kind of price fixe meals. Many of the more upscale restaurants here in Whitebreadville do a price fixe aimed at couples, usually three times a year — Christmas Eve (or as close to it as they’re open), New Year’s Eve, and Valentine’s Day. The difference being, of course, that a lot of those restaurants charge $175 a head, and the dinners usually include four courses and a bottle of champagne or something ridiculous like that.

Some people might like a similar experience, but can’t pony up that kind of money… Then again, it doesn’t take long to ring up a $20 tab at a midprice restaurant here. (That said, I took my roommate out for Vietnamese the other day, and it cost $23 total, including tax, for the two of us. Heh.)

• 4. charley  |  March 25th, 2007 at 8:15 pm

of course booze would be extra bring’n my tab to 60+

you’ll make a killing.

it is a good idea, but you have to charge for the booze.

i wonder why nobody comes up with an all you can drink deal…

• 5. Eli  |  March 25th, 2007 at 8:45 pm

I don’t know squat about restauranting – just regular ranting.

It just occurred to me how many times people go out in groups and *everyone* just has twenties and a few small bills. So why not just… go with it?

As for margin, I think people would be willing to overpay a little bit for the sheer convenience of not having to wrangle over the check.

I don’t think all-you-can-drink is an option, but past a certain limit, they can pay extra for the drinks, if they don’t mind sacrificing a some convenience at check time.

• 6. Jenny from the Blog  |  March 25th, 2007 at 10:15 pm

It’s like the Saturn of eateries! No haggling. The price is the price.

The food would have to be better than a franchise though. And I don’t know how you would handle the drinks. But as a first pass I give it a thumbs up.

Hi Eli!

• 7. Eli  |  March 25th, 2007 at 11:26 pm

Hi, Jenny!

I think the food just has to be roughly comparable to any other place where you’d typically spend roughly twenty bucks a head.

I guess I could have a deluxe version of the franchise where it’s forty. Maybe that one could have a larger drink allotment.