Pardon?

7 comments March 8th, 2007at 11:43am Posted by Eli

Well, I guess that question’s settled:

Bush did not rule out a pardon but implied that it is not imminent. “I’m pretty much going to stay out of it until the course — the case has finally run its final — the course it’s going to take,” he told Univision during an interview before a trip to Latin America that begins today.

In other words, Bush will pardon Libby if all his appeals fail, but he doesn’t want to flush his party and his legacy the rest of the way down the toilet unless and until he absolutely has to (or at least not before the 2008 elections).

Hang in there, Scooter – no jail for you! No need at all to cop a plea…

Entry Filed under: Bush,Corruption/Cronyism,Libby/Plame

• 1. Glenn  |  March 8th, 2007 at 12:53 pm

And not until a lot of legal minds can make a lot of appellate money.

• 2. Anne  |  March 8th, 2007 at 1:07 pm

Hi, Eil –

I don’t think Bush gives a rat’s ass whether he damages the party with a pardon – the only rat’s ass he cares about his is own, and if he thinks his legacy will be hurt by pardoning Scooter, he won’t do it. Oh, it will be framed as being for the good of the party, but we should know by now that whatever these people issue for public consumption is not necessarily the truth.

I get that people feel that others have “gotten away” with something, so it is only fair that poor Scooter doesn’t have to pay when no one else does, but I think that’s just crap.

Scooter made his choices, and like a lot of things, one isn’t always in control of the consequences that result.

• 3. PoliShifter  |  March 8th, 2007 at 1:19 pm

I can’t believe the Conservative Nosie Machine clamoring for a pardon and painting Libby as a hero.

I guess that’s the type of support you get when you play ball for BushCo.

Bush has to pardon Libby. If he doesn’t, Libby will rat him and Cheney out. Bush is caught by the same traps and games he uses on people.

• 4. karmicjay  |  March 8th, 2007 at 1:37 pm

I can hear the pardon coming..

• 5. Eli  |  March 8th, 2007 at 1:45 pm

I canít believe the Conservative Nosie Machine clamoring for a pardon and painting Libby as a hero.

Why on earth not?

Bush doesn’t *have* to pardon Libby until Libby fails to get himself off the hook through the appeals process. Although I think it’s possible that he might do so anyway if he gets into one of his pissy “Fuck you, liberals!” moods.

To Anne’s point, I think that’s mostly accurate, except that *if* Rove’s allegiance to the GOP is stronger than his allegiance to Bush, then he might be whispering against the pardon. This possibility may be neutralized if Rove’s own ass would be grass, of course.

But there is now absolutely no doubt in my mind that Bush intends to pardon Libby if the appeals fail.

• 6. Anne  |  March 8th, 2007 at 10:44 pm

Waxman’s hearing on the 16th may be very interesting. I have a feeling that Waxman wants to know – as do a lot of us – why the blabbermouths in the White House/administration still have security clearances. Would really like a discussion of the magical de-classifying of intelligence for the sole purpose of planting little tidbits in the media via the Judy Miller-types.

• 7. Eli  |  March 8th, 2007 at 11:16 pm

I hope so. Waxman is one of the very few congressmen who I trust completely to do the right thing.