Sweet Jesus!

5 comments March 30th, 2007at 09:49pm Posted by Eli

This is much tastier than wafers:

A New York gallery has angered a US Catholic group with its decision to exhibit a milk chocolate sculpture of Jesus Christ.

The six-foot (1.8m) sculpture, entitled “My Sweet Lord”, depicts Jesus Christ naked on the cross.

Catholic League head Bill Donohue called it “one of the worst assaults on Christian sensibilities ever”.

(…)

“The fact that they chose Holy Week shows this is calculated, and the timing is deliberate,” Mr Donohue said.

(…)

Mr Cavallaro, the Canadian-born artist, is known for using food ingredients in his art, on one occasion painting a hotel room in mozzarella cheese.

He used 200 pounds (90 kg) of chocolate to make the sculpture which, unusually, depicts Jesus without a loincloth.

Me, I would have titled it “Jesus Pieces.” Of course, I’m going to hell.
(h/t Glenn and Ol’ Froth)

Entry Filed under: Art/Architecture,Coolness,Religion,Weirdness

• 1. MEC  |  March 31st, 2007 at 2:14 pm

I laughed right out loud at “Me, I would have titled it ‘Jesus Pieces’.” I’m going to hell, too.

Is it “My Sweet Lord” or “My Semisweet Lord”? And is the Christianists’ objection that Jesus is depicted in the nude, or that they know he was not, you know, brown?

• 2. Eli  |  March 31st, 2007 at 3:12 pm

Is milk chocolate considered semisweet?

Also, did they consider any kind of creme or caramel filling?

• 3. Multi Medium » Just&hellip  |  March 31st, 2007 at 3:27 pm

[…] Maybe the significance of the Chocolate Jesus being displayed during Holy Week is that it’s intended as a commentary on the absurdity of Easter’s commercial side when compared to its religious significance?  I mean, a chocolate Jesus really does straddle both worlds quite effectively.  Maybe the sculptor should have put him in a giant basket of fake grass and jellybeans to really drive the point home.  Or he could have crucified the Easter Bunny, but that would have just creeped out everybody. Maybe in another nine months, we can be treated to Tinsel Jesus or Wrapping-Paper Jesus or Jolly Fat Red-And-White-Fur-Coat-Wearing Jesus. (Note: Please do not crucify Santa Claus.  Thank you.) […]

• 4. spocko  |  March 31st, 2007 at 10:53 pm

Why don’t people think that Jesus had a sense of humor? Think about it, 12-20 guys hanging out walking and talking. Don’t you think Jesus ever told a funny story? A joke? Made a crack after passing gas? “Did someone just step on a frog?”

And if he didn’t tell the joke, can you imagine a group of men who DIDN’T have someone in the group who was the joker?

Think about the nicest guys you know. Put at least 12 of them together. Now can you NOT imagine that at least ONE would be kind of funny? So one of those people, cracked a joke, “I’m not saying that pharisee is fat, but when he jumps into the Red Sea the tides part!” And do you think that Jesus DIDN’T laugh? Didn’t smile? Of course he did. He wasn’t Mr. Serious “I will DIE For your sins!” guy (and that was added later.)
    He was the guy who told stories. A good story teller appreciates the power of humor.

• 5. Eli  |  March 31st, 2007 at 11:00 pm

I’d like to think that if Jesus returned and saw himself rendered in chocolate, his first reaction would be, “It’s not big enough.”