Archive for April 24th, 2007

Ohmigod!

This is just unreal:

SHAFIQUE el-Fahkri’s recovery has been amazing. It is overshadowed, however, by Mr Fahkri’s even more amazing generosity of spirit.

The 20-year-old hospitality student says he bears no ill-will towards Liam Peart, the Oak Park apprentice electrician who speared a chair through his eye and throat outside Metro nightclub in January.

“Honestly, I forgive the bloke,” Mr Fahkri said, at his family’s Northcote home yesterday. He spoke in a quiet, determined tone.

“It doesn’t bother me, what he did to me. But I’m very, very upset at him for the way he tore (at) my family and friends… They got hurt big-time.”

(…)

Mr Fahkri was saved by surgeons at the Royal Melbourne Hospital after the spearing of his face. At first glance today, one would barely believe that he had suffered such a horrific blow. His face bears only a small scar, below his eye. Astoundingly, his vision is almost 95 per cent complete.

Now check out the CAT scan. Unbelievable.

(h/t to the shadowy and mysterious Codename V.)

April 24th, 2007 at 10:54pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Weirdness

Imperial Chutzpah

By way of The All-Seeing Eye Of Froomkin, Dubya compares himself to yet another great leader:

Bush told the group there is great pressure in Washington to change principles for the sake of political popularity, but he said he would not.

“It’s a struggle for some. It’s not for me,” he said.

He showed the group a portrait of Abraham Lincoln. He said Lincoln was unpopular during the Civil War but maintained his belief that all men are created equal.

“Look what would have happened to history” if Lincoln had abandoned that principle, Bush said.

Three cheers for Steely Resolute Man!

So far, I believe Dubya has now compared himself to Lincoln, Washington, Truman, Churchill, and both Roosevelts, but I could be mistaken – some of them may have come from Dubya’s loyal followers.

Personally, I would have picked Nixon, Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, and McKinley. Not sure who I’d pick for the foreign category – there are just so many grandiose, feeble-minded banana republic kleptocrats to choose from.

6 comments April 24th, 2007 at 07:32pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Bush,Wankers

Aaarrrrggghhh.

WaPo’s Chris Cillizza confirms his wankery once again in today’s online chat:

New York: The Fourth Estate check/balance function Halberstam and the best journalists of his generation fulfilled are exactly those that have been so fundamentally abandoned, repudiated and scorned by our nation’s most prominent and influential media stars. Why do you think the Halberstams of yesteryear appear to have morphed into the “off-the-record” Russerts of today?

Chris Cillizza: I disagree with the premise.
While there is no question that David Halberstam’s work was groundbreaking and is credited by many with creating a sense that the White House wasn’t shooting straight with the American people, I think modern journalists are doing their very best to emulate that sort of reporting.

And, frankly, Tim Russert is one of the best examples (I believe) of that kind of accountability journalism. I can’t count the number of politicians I have watched squirm and sweat when Russet uttered the words “Let me put something up on the screen for you and our viewers.”

Well, I suppose this is half true. But for some reason, Republicans just don’t seem to get as many gotchas as Democrats.

I do like the “Russet” spelling, though – he does kinda look like a giant talking potato…

April 24th, 2007 at 06:03pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Media,Wankers

Wanker Of The Day

Oh. My. ___.

Kauzlarich, now a battalion commanding officer at Fort Riley in Kansas… suggested the Tillman family’s unhappiness with the findings of past investigations might be because of the absence of a Christian faith in their lives.

In an interview with ESPN.com, Kauzlarich said: “When you die, I mean, there is supposedly a better life, right? Well, if you are an atheist and you don’t believe in anything, if you die, what is there to go to? Nothing. You are worm dirt. So for their son to die for nothing, and now he is no more – that is pretty hard to get your head around that. So I don’t know how an atheist thinks. I can only imagine that that would be pretty tough.”

Asked by ESPN.com whether the Tillmans’ religious beliefs are a factor in the ongoing investigation, Kauzlarich said, “I think so. There is not a whole lot of trust in the system or faith in the system [by the Tillmans]. So that is my personal opinion, knowing what I know.”

Asked what might finally placate the family, Kauzlarich said, “You know what? I don’t think anything will make them happy, quite honestly. I don’t know. Maybe they want to see somebody’s head on a platter. But will that really make them happy? No, because they can’t bring their son back.”

Kauzlarich, now 40, was the Ranger regiment executive officer in Afghanistan, who played a role in writing the recommendation for Tillman’s posthumous Silver Star. And finally, with his fingerprints already all over many of the hot-button issues, including the question of who ordered the platoon to be split as it dragged a disabled Humvee through the mountains, Kauzlarich conducted the first official Army investigation into Tillman’s death.

(…)

“Well, this guy makes disparaging remarks about the fact that we’re not Christians, and the reason that we can’t put Pat to rest is because we’re not Christians,” Mary Tillman, Pat’s mother, said in an interview with ESPN.com. Mary Tillman casts the family as spiritual, though she said it does not believe in many of the fundamental aspects of organized religion.
“Oh, it has nothing to do with the fact that this whole thing is shady,” she said sarcastically, “But it is because we are not Christians.”

This is the kind of Republican mindset we’re dealing with. If you’re not Christian, you are incapable of experiencing higher emotions or coping with grief, because you don’t have Teh Jesus to sustain you.

By this reasoning, shouldn’t the Christian Right all be urging their kids to enlist? After all, if they get killed, they’re going to A Better Place, so there’s nothing to be worried about, right? And yet, somehow I don’t think the fundies’ kids are signing up in droves to be Holy Warriors For Christ. One might almost think that faith does not actually make it okay when one one of your loved ones dies, or when the military lies to you about it and tries to cover up what happened.

Shorter Christianist Military Wanker: Jesus would have just Gotten Over It.

(Obligatory Disclaimer: I have no problem with Christians in general; my problem is with those false Christians who wield their religion as a club.)

(h/t Atrios)

4 comments April 24th, 2007 at 05:33pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Afghanistan,Religion,Wankers,War

Eli’s Obsession With The Google

My old blog appears to be the #1 search result for is snapple juice associated with the KKK?

Interesting. Um, in case you’re wondering, the other links I saw didn’t really suggest any kind of connection. Whew!

In other happy Google news, Multi Medium 2.0 is finally visible on The Google. Huzzah!

April 24th, 2007 at 01:28pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Eli's Obsession With The Google

This Just In

Shock jocks still pigs:

Still recovering from the Don Imus scandal, CBS Radio suspended two local shock jocks after they twice broadcast a racially charged prank call to employees at a Chinese restaurant.

The hosts of the daily morning show, WFNY-FM’s ”The Dog House With JV and Elvis,” have been suspended indefinitely without pay, CBS Radio spokeswoman Karen Mateo told The New York Times in an e-mail Monday. One of the hosts, Jeff Vandergrift, apologized on Monday’s show, she said.

(…)

In the segment, broadcast on April 5 — a day after the infamous Imus comment on CBS — and again last week, a caller to a Chinese restaurant intersperses an order for takeout with lewd language.

The caller tells one female employee he wants to come to the restaurant to see her naked and refers to a part of her body as ”hot, Asian, spicy.” The caller also attempts to order ”shrimp flied lice.”

The show’s hosts, Vandergrift and Dan Lay, have been campaigning online and on the air in support of Imus since his firing for calling the Rutgers University women’s basketball team ”nappy-headed hos” on April 4.

(…)

Community advocates pushed for CBS to fire the hosts of the show, which can be heard only in the New York City area and on the Internet.

“If they don’t fire the DJ’s, it will be a double standard,” said Vicki Shu Smolin, president of the New York City chapter of the Organization of Chinese Americans.

Vicki Shu Smolin is absolutely right. Just like Imus, these wankers combine racism and sexism with impressive efficiency – there’s hardly any wasted motion at all.

The other common elements are the fact that they’re aiming down instead of up (although their perch is nowhere near as lofty as Imus’s was), and the same employer. If it was someone other than CBS, they could just say they have different (i.e., lower) standards, although that’s not exactly great PR.

I guess they could make the argument that racism and sexism is somehow okay when it’s directed at Asians, but I sure wouldn’t want to be the one trying to defend that. I’m also curious to see what Asian cultural scapegoat/red herring will take the place of rap music – I sure can’t think of anything.

In happier pig news:

Blowing his nose and wiping away tears, the multimillionaire founder of the ”Girls Gone Wild” video empire pleaded guilty to contempt of court Monday and was sentenced to 35 days in jail.

Joe Francis, who was sued by seven women who were minors when filmed, apologized to the judge for yelling at the plaintiffs during settlement talks.

”I am sorry for my behavior. It was wrong. I had heard about appeals and things and I was confused. I am sorry, I really am,” said Francis, 34.

Mr. Macho Woman-Exploiting He-Man is blubbering about 35 days in jail? Pathetic.

April 24th, 2007 at 11:51am Posted by Eli