Imperial Chutzpah

6 comments April 24th, 2007at 07:32pm Posted by Eli

By way of The All-Seeing Eye Of Froomkin, Dubya compares himself to yet another great leader:

Bush told the group there is great pressure in Washington to change principles for the sake of political popularity, but he said he would not.

“It’s a struggle for some. It’s not for me,” he said.

He showed the group a portrait of Abraham Lincoln. He said Lincoln was unpopular during the Civil War but maintained his belief that all men are created equal.

“Look what would have happened to history” if Lincoln had abandoned that principle, Bush said.

Three cheers for Steely Resolute Man!

So far, I believe Dubya has now compared himself to Lincoln, Washington, Truman, Churchill, and both Roosevelts, but I could be mistaken – some of them may have come from Dubya’s loyal followers.

Personally, I would have picked Nixon, Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, and McKinley. Not sure who I’d pick for the foreign category – there are just so many grandiose, feeble-minded banana republic kleptocrats to choose from.

Entry Filed under: Bush,Wankers

• 1. MelodyMaker  |  April 24th, 2007 at 7:56 pm

Eli. I like your site. Photos are wayy cool.

Oh, and, at least Nixon resigned. He’s my (modern) republican hero these days.

• 2. Eli  |  April 24th, 2007 at 8:00 pm

Thanks, MM! (Funny how those initials keep cropping up: Media Matters, Michelle Malkin, Melanie Morgan, and, of course, Multi Medium…)

The last Republican president I could imagine voting for is Eisenhower. After him, I guess my order of preference would be Ford, Bush I, then Reagan, then Nixon, *then* Dubya. Feh.

• 3. MelodyMaker  |  April 24th, 2007 at 8:17 pm

Dwight would slay this current crop with righteous anger and extreme prejudice. Shit? Elliott Abrams? wtf. I miss the decent republicans because I grew up in their house.

• 4. MelodyMaker  |  April 24th, 2007 at 8:40 pm

I love this. oh’oh. what happened here. I think you’re broken. maybe it’ll come out in the wash. is this Mambo?

• 5. MelodyMaker  |  April 24th, 2007 at 8:42 pm

I was trying a blockquote. This is what I was loving.

3.2. Bill Clinton inadvertently ruined the Democratic party by using his immense charisma and political talent to legitimize the DLC’s corporate-friendly “triangulation” strategy. The Democratic Party never figured out that he won because he was Bill Clinton, not because he was a centrist.

• 6. Eli  |  April 24th, 2007 at 10:36 pm

I would love to see Barry Goldwater smacking these tools down.

I was trying a blockquote. This is what I was loving.

Thanks. The DLC has been living off Clinton’s wins for the last 15 years.