What The.

7 comments April 5th, 2007at 08:04am Posted by Eli

Um, can someone please tell me what blog this is supposed to be a diagram of?

I’m completely stumped.

Entry Filed under: Blogosphere,Weirdness

• 1. PoliShifter  |  April 5th, 2007 at 11:57 am

It sort of looks like an aborted fetus. Maybe it’s a Pro-Life blog.

Attack what you don’t understand it appears the New York Times is doing. I didn’t go and read the article where the diagram came from but I assume it’s about how sophmoric and juvenille blogs and bloggers are. Only established media has the right to discuss high minded topics in a serious, intellectual way. The rest of us can play in the sandbox.

The rise and success of the big blogs like dKos, Atrios, Crooks and Liars, etc I think is making some uncomfortable.

Newspapers still can’t seem to make a profit online but many bloggers have figured out how to do so.

• 2. Eli  |  April 5th, 2007 at 12:30 pm

As far as I can tell, there *is* no article. Just that diagram, by itself. I honestly cannot think of a single blog on *either* side which it would apply to.

It may be a valid life-cycle diagram for *something* – just not a blog.

• 3. Ripley  |  April 5th, 2007 at 2:10 pm

What’s important, Eli, is that they used the word ‘ennui’. That’s a sign of true craftsmanship and intelligence.

• 4. Eli  |  April 5th, 2007 at 2:48 pm

True. It certainly succeeded in making me ennuied.

• 5. GoodOlWhatsisFace  |  April 5th, 2007 at 4:24 pm

Poli Shifter beat me to it – pegged it exactly: the “MSM”/print media is threatened by blogs so the NYT and all the others are doing the best they can to impugn (another $5.00 word in that diagram) blogs in general.

But the ironic part? They’re not reaching the vast audience of potential readers/subscribers, most of which – wait for it – has abandoned them TO READ THE BLOGS.

They just don’t get it…

• 6. Eli  |  April 5th, 2007 at 8:24 pm

That’s a pretty lame effort at impugnage. Slander should at least inspire some kind of head-nodding, “Yeah, I can totally see that” reaction, not “Whaaa?”

• 7. Interrobang  |  April 6th, 2007 at 5:46 am

It’s not my damn blog, that’s for sure. A diagram of my blog would probably look something like

Long boring pedantic historical/political article
    ZOMG!!SWEARWORDS!!
    footnotes
    links to weird shit
    boring pedantic comments (by the regular crowd and me), and the occasional troll/spam comment

I have a brand new boring, pedantic historical andpolitical article up, with lots of footnotes, by the way.