No Cuke – Pepsi, Pepsi.

8 comments June 19th, 2007at 11:13am Posted by Eli

Well, this is certainly… interesting:

“Pepsi Ice Cucumber” hit the stores this week, but it doesn’t actually have any of the green gourd in it. Instead it has been artificially flavored to resemble “the refreshing taste of a fresh cucumber,” said Aya Takemoto, spokeswoman of Japan’s Pepsi distributor, Suntory Ltd.

“We wanted a flavor that makes people think of keeping cool in the summer heat,” Takemoto said. “We thought the cucumber was just perfect.”

The mint-colored soda is on sale just for the summer and only in Japan, Takemoto said. She said initial sales were brisk, and Suntory aims to sell 200,000 cases over the next three months.

I would actually be willing to try this, but then, I also like avocado milkshakes…

Entry Filed under: Coolness,Weirdness

• 1. PoliShifter  |  June 19th, 2007 at 3:20 pm

Avacado milkshakes??? Well, I’d try it once anyway…I like date shakes…Do you make the avacado shakes yourself or buy them somewhere?

I’d try the cucumber soda but would prefer if it were naturally flavored. I get enough FD&C green, yellow, red, and purple in my diet as it is as well as artificially flavored just about anything packaged and sold these days.

• 2. Eli  |  June 19th, 2007 at 3:34 pm

I discovered the avocado milkshake at a Vietnamese restaurant in Philly when I was there for Eschacon. I couldn’t not try it, and it was surprisingly tasty and sweet. I had another one in a New York Vietnamese restaurant, so that appears to be their natural habitat.

I wouldn’t dare attempt to make one myself – that’s something that would be pretty revolting if not done well.

• 3. bdr  |  June 19th, 2007 at 11:27 pm

All I wanted was a Pepsi…

• 4. Interrobang  |  June 20th, 2007 at 12:33 am

I’d definitely try that, but then, I live on gazpacho soup in the summer, which is essentially pureed cucumber and tomato with bell pepper and onion for flavour.

• 5. Eli  |  June 20th, 2007 at 12:49 am

Little-known fact: Cucumber is also very tasty on hamburgers (must be peeled, though). Figured that one out all by myself.

• 6. whig  |  June 20th, 2007 at 4:10 am

Cucumber soda, fine. I’ve enjoyed Celery tonic.

But, “artificially flavored to resemble ‘the refreshing taste of a fresh cucumber,'”

• 7. whig  |  June 20th, 2007 at 4:11 am

Cel-Ray is the celery tonic I’ve had.

• 8. Eli  |  June 20th, 2007 at 11:51 am

I don’t think I could go for celery tonic, but cucumber soda is definitely a possibility. It might be artificially flavored because, I suspect, cucumber juice is not very strong.