We Write Letters

9 comments November 23rd, 2007at 06:24pm Posted by Eli

My mom is… displeased with the Democratic party. Here’s her response to a fundraising request from the DNC:

Before I donate a CENT – I want to know who voted 400 to 6 to pass the Homegrown Terrorist Act House bill? Surely this includes a majority of Democrats (supposedly committed to protecting our civil liberties) This bill will allow the administration to persecute ANYONE They define as a threat; ie, environmental, political and animal rights activists.

In a time of warrantless surveillance, rollback of civil rights and an unchecked executive branch which asserts the right to declare anyone in the world an “enemy combatant” with no recourse to knowing the charges against them or recourse to legal representation in a legitimate court of law – how can a majority of Democrats give Bush still more power? They already gave him Alito, Roberts and Mukasy, not to mention the 2000 election and the Iraq War.

A lot of us are sick of the Democratics rolling over for an illegal, immoral administration whose untouchable Decider once said, “a dictatorship is fine, as long as I’m the Dictator.”

SHOW ME A BACKBONE AND I’LL SHOW YOU THE MONEY.

P.S. What about the recent 9th Circuit (liberal) court that gave Bush carte blanche (again!) – on warrantless surveillance because they didn’t want to “second guess” the “Commander in Chief in his fight against terrorism.”

I read your e-mail: Are you reading mine?

Go, Mom!

This fits in nicely with Athenae’s post – a lot of us are really sick of being let down and punk’d by our own party. The Democrats are not just ignoring and alienating their base; they’re ignoring and alienating the moderates (no, my mom isn’t one) whose votes they supposedly crave.

Whether through stupidity, cowardice, or corruption, the Democrats have allowed the Republicans and insider consultant/pundit class (what Digby and others call “The Village”) to define The Sensible Middle as somewhere to the right of Barry Goldwater. News flash to Democrats: No matter what you do, the 25% who still think Dubya is a great president WILL NEVER VOTE FOR YOU. Please stop pandering to them.

Entry Filed under: Bush,Constitution,Corruption/Cronyism,Democrats,Politics

• 1. EurekaSprings,AR  |  November 24th, 2007 at 12:02 am

Thanks Mom! Oh and btw, Eli, I love the remodeling.

• 2. Eli  |  November 24th, 2007 at 12:08 am

Thanks, Eureka! I think Mom is even more pissed off than I am.

• 3. Charles  |  November 24th, 2007 at 1:59 am

Your Mom is aces, Eli.

I am on every sucker list in recorded human history, and incumbent Dems get a nice polite reading of hellfire and damnation in every Gimme Envelope they send.

• 4. Virgotex  |  November 24th, 2007 at 4:56 am

Good one, Mrs. Eli’s Mom.

As to the last bit in yer post re pandering, a big Yes. To invoke Ath. again, and another of her trademark themes: they HATE you. They always will
    As a queer, I am always waiting for the “under the wheels of the bus” moment when my interests are deemed politically impractical by those I gave supported. I’m used to that, but to have to say that speaking as “just” a democrat, “just” a concerned American, after what we gave the Dems in 06, it’s just such a desolate feeling, you know?

• 5. virgotex  |  November 24th, 2007 at 8:26 am

by those I gave supported

my English, she is not so good….

• 6. Cujo359  |  November 24th, 2007 at 3:39 pm

SHOW ME A BACKBONE AND IíLL SHOW YOU THE MONEY

It’s amazing how many of us have said or written this in the last few years, and how little impression it seems to have left on the recipients of that scorn. I haven’t looked into the “Homegrown Terrorist Act”, but given that I hadn’t even heard of it until I read this article, I suspect I’m not going to like it. Cowardice and fecklessness are best accomplished in secret.

• 7. ellroon  |  November 24th, 2007 at 4:57 pm

Your mom rocks, Eli.

• 8. Eli  |  November 24th, 2007 at 5:30 pm

Itís amazing how many of us have said or written this in the last few years, and how little impression it seems to have left on the recipients of that scorn.

That’s what’s so especially infuriating. There is absolutely no question that they know exactly how pissed off we are, and they Just. Don’t. Care.

• 9. Eli's mom  |  November 28th, 2007 at 12:14 am

Nice meeting y’all. If you like this – you should see my letters to the editors! the last one (unprinted) claimed that Bush’s greatest talent was getting others to clean up after him.