Archive for October 27th, 2008

Olaf Glad And Big

To not exactly paraphrase Olaf glad and big: “There is some shit I will not serve.”

At least three dozen workers at a telemarking call center in Indiana walked off the job rather than read an incendiary McCain campaign script attacking Barack Obama, according to two workers at the center and one of their parents.

Nina Williams, a stay-at-home mom in Lake County, Indiana, tells us that her daughter recently called her from her job at the center, upset that she had been asked to read a script attacking Obama for being “dangerously weak on crime,” “coddling criminals,” and for voting against “protecting children from danger.”

Williams’ daughter told her that up to 40 of her co-workers had refused to read the script, and had left the call center after supervisors told them that they would have to either read the call or leave, Williams says. The call center is called Americall, and it’s located in Hobart, IN.

“They walked out,” Williams says of her daughter and her co-workers, adding that they weren’t fired but willingly sacrificed pay rather than read the lines. “They were told [by supervisors], `If you all leave, you’re not gonna get paid for the rest of the day.”

The daughter, who wanted her name withheld fearing retribution from her employer, confirmed the story to us. “It was like at least 40 people,” the daughter said. “People thought the script was nasty and they didn’t wanna read it.”

A second worker at the call center confirmed the episode, saying that “at least 30” workers had walked out after refusing to read the script.

“We were asked to read something saying [Obama and Democrats] were against protecting children from danger,” this worker said. “I wouldn’t do it. A lot of people left. They thought it was disgusting.”

Good for them.  I really like these little reminders that despite the best efforts of the GOP and reality television, decency is still not entirely extinct.

October 27th, 2008 at 11:37pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Elections,McCain,Politics,Republicans

Great Moments In Chutzpah

First up, the Mitch McConnell campaign:

Last week, Sen. Mitch McConnell (R) squared off in a debate with Democratic challenger Bruce Lunsford. But on Lunsford’s podium a GOP operative had placed a small voice recorder, presumably to pick up some off-mic comments Lunsford might make — apparently a violation of the debate rules.

(…)

According to the Lunsford campaign, Lunsford actually didn’t see the recorder. But since it was nestled in among his papers it was included when he handed his papers off to his staffers after the debate — staffers who say they later erased the recording since it violated debate rules to have a planted recorder on the opponents podium.

According to the McConnell staffers, however, Lunsford did see the recorder during the debate and essentially confiscated it. Richard St. Onge, II (who, in a separate story, may have absconded with his name from some neo-gothic southern novel) is the GOP operative who planted the recorder. And according to St. Onge, when he went up to Lunsford after the debate to demand his recorder back, Lunsford said, “No you won’t get it back.”

And now St. Onge and the chairman of McConnell’s campaign have filed a criminal complaint against Lunsford for petty larceny and destruction of property — because of the erasure.

Wow, they tried to bug Lunsford and then filed charges against him when they got busted.  Amazing.

The Tennessee GOP isn’t nearly as humorous:

The chairwoman for the Tennessee Republican Party draws a wild parallel:

“Hate is not a political party, policy statement, agenda or ideology – it is a pure evil that no place in civil society,” said Robin Smith, Chairman of the Tennessee Republican Party. “Whether it is neo-Nazi skinheads plotting a racist shooting spree targeting Sen. Obama, or West Hollywood liberals hanging Gov. Sarah Palin in effigy and calling it ‘art,’ or unknown anarchists tossing bricks through the windows of a county Republican headquarters in Murfreesboro, Americans of all political views should be outraged.”

The Palin effigy was crude, but it’s breathtaking to compare that with indictments in a mass murder and assassination plot.

Yes, that’s right, they compared an effigy and some brick-throwing to a neo-Nazi murder spree.  Shame is completely foreign to these people.

October 27th, 2008 at 09:30pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Corruption/Cronyism,Elections,McCain,Palin,Politics,Racism,Republicans

Toobz Goes Down Them

Amazingly, despite a grossly (deliberately?) inept DOJ prosecution, Ted Stevens has actually been found guilty of all seven counts of corruption, but apparently a felony a conviction is not enough to convince him to drop out of his Senate race:

I am obviously disappointed in the verdict but not surprised given the repeated instances of prosecutorial misconduct in this case. The prosecutors had to report themselves to the Justice Department’s Office of Professional Responsibility during the trial for ethical violations. Exculpatory evidence was hidden from my lawyers. A witness was kept from us and then sent back to Alaska. The Government lawyers allowed evidence to be introduced that they knew was false. I will fight this unjust verdict with every ounce of energy I have.

I am innocent. This verdict is the result of the unconscionable manner in which the Justice Department lawyers conducted this trial. I ask that Alaskans and my Senate colleagues stand with me as I pursue my rights. I remain a candidate for the United States Senate.

I think this might be the opportunity the Alaska Independence Party has been waiting for.

For Toobz!  And FREEDOM!!!

1 comment October 27th, 2008 at 08:52pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Corruption/Cronyism,Palin,Politics,Republicans

Obamablogging

This could have been a great picture with a real camera…

I didn’t actually think I would end up at the Obama rally in Pittsburgh today, because the invite said it was at 3PM.  But since people were still filing in when I got off work, I figured what the hell.

Unfortunately, since I didn’t think I would be there, I didn’t bother to take my camera along, so I couldn’t get any decent photos at all.  And my Treo battery was almost dead, so I couldn’t even attempt to liveblog it (which probably would have been a bad idea on a cellphone anyway).  Oh, and I was sitting behind a flatulent toddler.  But, um, other than that, it was great! The audience was fired up, as you might expect.

Best quote, after he said something about McCain: “Don’t need to boo; just vote.”  My favorite part, though, was when Obama returned to the theme of his 2004 keynote address, which has become especially relevant now: That despite what the Republicans say to try to divide us and make us hate and fear one another, we are still all Americans, and every part of America is, in fact, America.

Republicans have been calling Democrats un-American for as long as I can remember, and they’ve rarely been called on it, and never paid a price for it.  Until this year.

Michelle Bachmann calls Obama and some indeterminate number of congresscritters anti-American, and ends up trying to backtrack as she finds herself suddenly trailing an unknown opponent who racked up a million dollars in donations in just a few days after she let her McCarthy freak flag fly.

Sarah Palin refers to the “real America” and the “pro-America” parts of the country, and ends up backtracking and trying to explain herself.  As the McCain campaign sinks lower and lower into the gutter, so do its poll numbers.  Sowing fear and hate and division is becoming toxic and shameful rather than just admirable hardball politics, and the Republican Atwater/Rove gameplan is no longer effective as a result.

Now that is the change we need.

October 27th, 2008 at 07:57pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Elections,Obama,Pittsburgh/PA

Monday Media Blogging – Halloween Edition

It’s Tim Curry in cheesy 80s TV movie The Worst Witch!

Wow.  Just wow.

Dig the bat tie, and the State Of The Art Visual Effects.

(h/t Coilhouse)

October 27th, 2008 at 11:29am Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Monday Media Blogging

Quote Of The Day

Boris Johnson, London’s Tory mayor, on Dubya’s legacy:

Democracy and capitalism are the two great pillars of the American idea.  To have rocked one of those pillars may be regarded as a misfortune. To have damaged the reputation of both, at home and abroad, is a pretty stunning achievement for an American president.

“Lucky me, I hit the bifecta!”

(h/t dakine)

October 27th, 2008 at 07:35am Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Bush,Constitution,Corruption/Cronyism,Economy,Quotes

Question Of The Day

What hand does Sarah Palin wear her wedding ring on?

“My wedding ring, it’s in Todd’s pocket cause it hurts sometimes when I shake hands and it gets squished,” Palin told a crowd in Tampa, Florida. “A $35 wedding ring from Hawaii that I bought myself …’cause I always thought with my ring, it’s not what it’s made of, it’s what it represents and 20 years later, happy to wear it.”

Pay no attention to that $150,000 spending spree, and all those tens of thousands for hair and makeup.  She (sometimes) wears a $35 wedding ring, so she’s just folks.  She totally understands the problems of other ordinary middle-class people like her; which is to say, ordinary middle-class people with virtually limitless resources at their disposal.

(h/t Jeannine)