The Lord Will Provide

8 comments November 29th, 2008at 07:40pm Posted by Eli

Amazing:

Under state law, God is Kentucky’s first line of defense against terrorism.

The 2006 law organizing the state Office of Homeland Security lists its initial duty as “stressing the dependence on Almighty God as being vital to the security of the Commonwealth.”

Specifically, Homeland Security is ordered to publicize God’s benevolent protection in its reports, and it must post a plaque at the entrance to the state Emergency Operations Center with an 88-word statement that begins, “The safety and security of the Commonwealth cannot be achieved apart from reliance upon Almighty God.”

State Rep. Tom Riner, a Southern Baptist minister, tucked the God provision into Homeland Security legislation as a floor amendment that lawmakers overwhelmingly approved two years ago.

As amended, Homeland Security’s religious duties now come before all else, including its distribution of millions of dollars in federal grants and its analysis of possible threats.

The time and energy spent crediting God are appropriate, said Riner, D-Louisville, in an interview this week.

“This is recognition that government alone cannot guarantee the perfect safety of the people of Kentucky,” Riner said. “Government itself, apart from God, cannot close the security gap. The job is too big for government.”

Nonetheless, it is government that operates the Office of Homeland Security in Frankfort, with a budget this year of about $28 million, mostly federal funds….

I don’t see why they need $28 million if they’ve got God watching out for them, but what do I know.  Maybe it’s a backup plan in case God falls asleep on the job.

And apparently God’s not just in charge of homeland security:

If you’re a school principal in Connecticut, it’s possible a group of moms is praying for you every week.

Not because you, specifically, need their prayers (although who among us couldn’t benefit from an extra prayer now and then) but because that’s what these moms do — they get together once a week and pray for their kids’ schools, including the principals, staff and all the students.

They pray for safe classrooms. They pray that bullies will be caught. They pray for an end to the illnesses that sweep through schools, and the homework tantrums their kids throw.

They even pray for Mastery Test scores.

(…)

Although there are Moms In Touch groups scattered around Connecticut, Lawrence said there aren’t any in Hartford, which struggles with some of the deepest problems of any school system in the state.

That’s a situation she’d like to correct.

“I totally believe with all my heart that if every school in Connecticut was prayed for every week it would be totally different,” Lawrence said.

See, we don’t even need money for schools!  Awesome!

Man, it’s a good thing God’s omnipotent, ‘cuz we sure are putting a lot of important stuff on His plate.

(h/t dakine)

Entry Filed under: Education,Religion,Terrorism

• 1. Karin  |  November 29th, 2008 at 9:08 pm

This has nothing to do with God or Kenucky, Eli, but I just got through watching a movie called “My Winnepeg”. If you haven’t seen it, go rent it. I think it’s exactly your cup of tea, for the b&w photography alone, but the story is also very funny.

• 2. Eli  |  November 29th, 2008 at 9:09 pm

That’s Guy Maddin, right? I think I read about that. I don’t think I’ve watched any Guy Maddin yet, I was never sure if I would love it or hate it.

• 3. Karin  |  November 29th, 2008 at 9:37 pm

IMO, you would love it. It’s got B-movie cheesiness, a touch of Errol Morris, and the architecture of the city is really the main character.

• 4. Eli  |  November 29th, 2008 at 10:31 pm

Cool, will check it out.

• 5. Cujo359  |  November 30th, 2008 at 6:00 am

I’m amazed that the Founding Fathers didn’t write this into the Declaration of Independence. We sure could have used that kind of help back then.

Oh, wait – they were educated. Nevermind.

• 6. bill  |  November 30th, 2008 at 9:54 am

Jefferson is spinning in his grave like a turbine. Might be a good energy source.

What is up with Plaxico? Should make the game a little less lop sided

• 7. Eli  |  November 30th, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Plax is a moron. If this had happened before the season, I would have been devastated, but Plax has had pretty much zero production to go with his disruptions, and the Giants have WR depth now. And Hixon’s been a stud filling in for Plax.

As long as they don’t lose Pierce, the Giants are better off without Plax.

• 8. Dav  |  December 17th, 2008 at 9:34 pm

The Best thing about Our God is “He’s” There in control beyond our abillity to understand! God Will Provide!