Archive for March 12th, 2009

Epic Rebuttal Fail

So… Meghan McCain laments that the Republican Party’s embrace of hate and mean-spiritedness as embodied by Ann Coulter (I wonder why not Rush?) is turning off potential converts, and Laura Ingraham responds by calling her fat:

In a mocking faux-Valley Girl voice, Ingraham made fun of McCain’s body, joking that she didn’t get a “role in the Real World” because “they don’t like plus-sized models”:

MCCAIN (on MSNBC): And I think there’s an extreme on both parties and I hate extreme. I don’t understand. I have friends that are the most radically conservative and radically liberal people possibly ever and we all get along. We can find a middle ground.

INGRAHAM (mocking): Ok, I was really hoping that I was going to get that role in the Real World, but then I realized that, well, they don’t like plus-sized models. They only like the women who look a certain way. And on this 50th anniversary of Barbie, I really have something to say.

Listen here:

Well played, Laura Ingraham.  Well played.

2 comments March 12th, 2009 at 10:32pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: McCain,Media,Politics,Republicans,Wankers

Because You Can Never Have Too Many Conservative Democrat Voting Blocs

Just what we need, Blue Dogs in the Senate.

Senate Democratic centrists believe the 111th Congress has given them the right ingredients to exercise considerable influence, but they still face an uphill battle in a chamber where such alliances typically fail.

Following its early success in paring down the more than $900 billion economic stimulus bill to $787 billion, a group of 15 to 20 Democratic moderates plans to formally announce next week that it is aligning as a loose coalition or working group focused on deficit reduction and fiscal responsibility. While not identical to the long-established House Democratic Blue Dog Coalition, the group is eyeing a similar role.

Led by Sens. Evan Bayh (D-Ind.), Tom Carper (D-Del.) and Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.), members said early press reports of their meetings were mischaracterized as an opposition group to President Barack Obama’s agenda and budget. But they acknowledge that they are seeking to restrain the influence of party liberals in the White House and on Capitol Hill.

“We’re not a counterweight to anybody. We’re not here to obstruct anything. We’re here to help get to 60 votes,” Bayh said, referencing the threshold that’s needed to overcome filibusters.

So… it takes 15-20 “centrists” watering down Democratic legislation to get one Republican vote?  Awesome.

Bayh said the group is made up of “pragmatists … not ideologues” and is intended to be “a forum to see if we have a consensus approach to getting things done.”

Carper said Members want to be a constructive partner with the White House and Democratic leaders to get important legislation like health care reform and climate change passed.

“The voters of this country have put their trust in the Democratic Party. They want us to govern,” Carper said. “That doesn’t mean they want us to govern too far to the left, just as they didn’t want the Republicans to govern too far to the right.”

Carper said the increased number of moderate Senate Democrats has made it more likely that the new group can succeed in tempering legislation and fostering bipartisanship. Plus, the Senators are better positioned to help the president reach out to Republicans on key issues, Carper said.

Oh yeah, that’s just what we need – outreach to the Republicans.  They can lend their special expertise on how to utterly destroy a healthy country in just eight short years.  It’s like asking a tumor for advice on how to treat cancer.

March 12th, 2009 at 09:49pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Democrats,Politics,Wankers

Same As The Old Boss

This is very, very disappointing.  After all Obama’s happy talk about how he would only use signing statements “with caution and restraint, based only on interpretations of the Constitution that are well founded,” his first signing statement sounds just like one of Dubya’s.

“This provision,” Mr. Obama wrote, “raises constitutional concerns by constraining my choice of particular persons to perform specific command functions in military missions, by conditioning the exercise of my authority as commander in chief on the recommendations of subordinates within the military chain of command, and by constraining my diplomatic negotiating authority.”

He also raised concerns about a section that establishes whistle-blower protections for federal employees who give information to Congress.

“I do not interpret this provision,” he wrote, “to detract from my authority to direct the heads of executive departments to supervise, control and correct employees’ communications with the Congress in cases where such communications would be unlawful or would reveal information that is properly privileged or otherwise confidential.”

(…)

Mr. Obama called the provisions “impermissible forms of legislative aggrandizement” and declared that while executive-branch officials would notify lawmakers of any reallocation, “spending decisions shall not be treated as dependent on the approval of Congressional committees.”

In other words, “unconstitutional” means “anything that restricts my executive authority.”  Just like his predecessor.  When Obama made his claim about how measured he would be in his use of signing statements, I predicted that Republicans would immediately accuse him of hypocrisy the first time he issued one.  I just didn’t think I’d be agreeing with them.

2 comments March 12th, 2009 at 08:48pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Constitution,Corruption/Cronyism,Obama,Wankers

Great Moments In Tone-Deaf Cluelessness, Financial Edition

First up, CNBC President Mark Hoffman:

I don’t think we’ve pitched a perfect game.  But it’s a one-hitter or two-hitter.

Um, Mr. Hoffman, have you met Mr. Stewart?

And batting second, we have JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon:

When I hear the constant vilification of corporate America, I personally don’t understand it.

Really.  You have no idea at all why that might be?  Not even an inkling?  Shine on, you crazy Dimon.

March 12th, 2009 at 07:56pm Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Economy,Media,Quotes,Wankers

Quote Of The Day

From an NYT review of a GPS hiking app for cellphones:

For some people, a hike is a great excuse to get away from the cellphone. For others, that little device is a way to enhance your experience, by tapping into maps, tips and visual cues you might otherwise miss, and by giving users the chance to record and share their experience with others.

There’s a third group — those who like to chat loudly with colleagues while they ignore the natural beauty around them. For them, nature invented mountain lions.

Excellent.

March 12th, 2009 at 11:47am Posted by Eli

Entry Filed under: Quotes

Pop Culture Fail

Michael Steele is like the Energizer Bunny of out-of-touch weirdness:

Check out this line from Michael Steele, in an interview with GQ, discussing the rap artists that he’s listened to over the years:

Who do you listen to?
I actually listen to a cross section, because I like to hear what the medium is saying, what the voice is.

But do you have a favorite?
P. Diddy I enjoy quite a bit.

Do you want to rethink that?
[laughs] I guess I’m sorta old-school that way. Remember, I came of age with the DJ and all this other stuff, so I’m also loving Grandmaster Flash, and that’s not hip-hop, but… Um, you know, I like Chuck D. And I always thought Snoop Dogg was–he just reminded me of the fellas back home. So I’ve always thoroughly enjoyed him.

This is not to say he is any kind of poser — maybe he does listen to those acts, and we should take him at his word.

But now take a look at his statement that he’s a big fan of Frank Sinatra and the other guys in the “Pack Rats”:

Who else?
I like Sinatra. I like old-school. You know, Bing Crosby, Sinatra, Dean Martin. Love Dean Martin. He was one of these guys who just didn’t give an F. He just didn’t. Life was a party, and you either want to party or you don’t. But yeah, I like those. I’m a big Pack Rat. I love the Pack Rats from the 1950s–Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Frank Sinatra, those guys.

You mean the Rat Pack.
The Rat Pack, yeah.

So Steele doesn’t just sound like a middle-aged man trying to talk to his kids and failing to sound cool. He’s also trying to talk to his parents and failing to sound cool.

Now, if he said he liked Kool Moe Dee, I might be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

March 12th, 2009 at 06:44am Posted by Eli