What’s The Most Horrible State In The Union?

7 comments May 13th, 2010at 11:23am Posted by Eli

I think I would pretty much have to go with Arizona right now.  I can’t think of any other state which is institutionalizing racism and xenophobia quite so gleefully.  First the show-me-your-papers law, and now this:

The governor, Jan Brewer, has signed into law a bill that was passed because the state superintendent of public instruction, Tom Horne, who happens to be running for attorney general, dislikes a Mexican-American studies program in Tucson Unified School District that allows students to learn in history and literature courses about how particular ethnic groups influenced history, the Associated Press reported.

The bill, about which I wrote last week, prohibits any classes that:

* Promote the overthrow of the United States government.
* Promote resentment toward a race or class of people.
* Are designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group.
* Advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals.

The first two points are ringers, of course, for Horne’s real problem: According to the Associated Press, Horne has wanted to limit the program since he learned several years ago that Hispanic civil right activist Dolores Herta told Tucson high school students that “Republicans hate Latinos.”

The governor signed the bill just after six United Nations human rights experts released a statement saying they had concerns about the measure and noted that all people have a right to learn about their own cultural and linguistic heritage.

Yes, I know there are good people in Arizona, but the ones who are calling the shots there are mean, bigoted monsters.

Entry Filed under: Racism,Republicans,Wankers

• 1. Karin  |  May 14th, 2010 at 8:59 am

Also, this.

• 2. Eli  |  May 14th, 2010 at 9:08 am

Jebus. I dunno if they have the most racist citizens in the country, but they have unquestionably the most overtly, proudly racist state government.

• 3. shortstop  |  May 14th, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Karin beat me to one more reason to not fucking believe this state. Of course, teabagger teachers couldn’t pass a written English test, but they don’t pronounce short Is as “ee,” and that’s the most important thing.

As for banning ethnic studies because they promote “ethnic chauvinism,” no way has ignoring all ethnicities except whiter shades of pale ever done that. Nor, since white Anglo is clearly the default setting for humanity, is “traditional” history “designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group.”

• 4. Eli  |  May 14th, 2010 at 6:09 pm

White is not an ethnic group; it is the absence of ethnic groups!

• 5. shortstop  |  May 15th, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Just like male is the absence of gender!

• 6. Eli  |  May 15th, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I sooo did not want to go there…

• 7. Multi Medium » The &hellip  |  May 17th, 2010 at 7:17 am

[…] and culturally aware community that harasses Latinos and demands to see their papers?  That has banned ethnic studies and won’t even allow anyone with an accent to teach English?  I can’t think of any […]